cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming problem

PaulC1165
Visitor

I have just put my new SIM card into my iPad, it asked to update settings which I did. Since then, it has been trying to connect but with no luck. Does anyone have any idea as to why this may be? Any suggestions gratefully received. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

VOILÀ - I changed the settings from Local Home Profile to International Roaming and it works. Thank you folks for your time and help. 961F984E-C14C-42BA-A96A-59A10417E922.png

View solution in context

30 REPLIES 30

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
I don't understand.
What has this got to do with roaming?

Are you sure that the settings are configured correctly?

https://community.48.ie/t5/Other-Help/Internet-not-working-on-HUAWEI-ASCEND-g6-u10/m-p/34493/highlig...

If they are then it may be the usual Apple stupidity of the device having to activate on certain networks which involves the device sending an SMS to a UK activation server and this will not work unless there is cash credit on the account to pay for the international text.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks for your reply. I omitted to mention that I am currently in France, hence the roaming question. The card was activated recently, in Dublin, and was fine. I use my iPad, while in France, for FaceTiming family and clients.

I will check out your link now and see where that takes me. Cheers.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
If you scan for networks can you see and connect to a local one?
Do you get any connection and signal bars?
Check the APN settings as I suggested also.

Hope this helps.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks again for your reply. I went into settings on the iPad and the sim was showing as a Proximus.be something. I went into APN settings but I couldn't change anything. Once I tried to change the APN, as per the article you posted the link to, my iPad locked up and I had to perform a soft reset. Everything froze/locked up.

I tried the sim in an old Nokia phone but nothing happened. I am not charging another phone, not locked to any network, and I will try the sim in that. 

I do not understand why my iPad Air (which has a sim slot) should lock up

Sorry, I meant to say that the signal strength indicator simply flashed from left to right as it tries to find a signal. Nothing is registered apart from that

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Sorry I don't know why your iPad locks up.
If you can change the APN settings without this happening then you should try changing proximus.be to 48months.liffeytelecom.com and see if that helps.
Unfortunately Apple devices are a pain on networks such as 48 due to the stupid way that Apple does things.

Hope this helps.

Anon
Not applicable
Hey Paul, give this a try. Go into your mobile data settings you should see "SIM Applications" then click "when abroad" - "network selection" - "manual" - "Local Home Profile"

When this is done enter the APN 48months.liffeytelecom.com

If that doesn't work go to network selection and make sure it's on automatic and restart your iPad.

Thanks Conor, I am attaching 3 screen dumps. The first two show what resulted when I tried your suggestion. Basically, the SIM card is shown as Proximus (whatever this is). When I tap on Sim Applications (which isn't always available with whatever is going on) I get to the page where i can select When Abroad. I tried to go to the Network Selection page 12 times. Twice I got the page but it immediately returned to the previous page. The 3rd screen dump is the result of inserting my Old 3 SIM card. With this everything is perfectly normal with the signal bar indicating service level etc.EE128106-34B9-4E3F-9BCA-8370BBF674EC.pngB1C14F26-4A72-4210-9BB2-641D7D601CB9.pngB3BACE12-086C-4011-8E0E-1CC930F40B6D.png

I have just inserted the sim into an old unlocked mobile phone and it works perfectly well. So, the issue is my iPad. My iPad is my own and not locked to any mobile network.