cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't messages to 5**** numbers send?

Anon
Not applicable

Hi there,

I tried to send a text to a 5**** number today, it was a free number but I still had credit in my account and it still would not send. Any reason for this?

Thanks,

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No. 48 does not allow sending texts to PSMS (Premium SMS) numbers such as 5XXXX. The only alternative that I know of is to find another way (e.g. email address, phone number) to contact them and ask them to stop. That's what I had to do with one or two such numbers. Otherwise your phone may have a way to blacklist/block such texts locally.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

20 REPLIES 20

Anon
Not applicable
hmmm. not sure what the story is with that!

Are you sure you had actual credit, and not membership!?

Anon
Not applicable

I had both credit and membership. It was a free number so I should not of needed credit anyway. I was on a course and we were told to text this number to get a message back and there was a whole load of 48 customers there who could not send the message. So its not just me.

Thanks,

Adam

Anon
Not applicable
Alright,

I've tried texting those service numbers too before, but to no avail; I thought this was because I had no credit though.

If this is urgent, please contact a member of the technical staff using the link below in my signature.

I'm pretty sure that 48 does not support the sending of texts using PSMS numbers/short codes (i.e. 5****) even if they are free services:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/telecommunications_and_postal_services/regulat...

The price list does not clarify this:

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/other-call-charges

but my recollection is that other people have tried them before and they don't work because they are simply not supported on this network at the moment.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Anon
Not applicable
this just in from the care crew ::

We don’t allow the texting or calling premium rate numbers on 48.

As these numbers can be quite expensive the decision was made to not allow any premium rate services on 48.

Anon
Not applicable

I think what 48 should do is, if you want to text these numbers that you have to top up your balance, that way it has nothing to do with ur member ship that its seperate, then it wouldnt be expensive

I need to send a 'STOP' message to a 5**** number so that they'll stop sending me spam texts. I have credit as well as a membership but the message still won't send. Is there any way around this? Man Indifferent

No. 48 does not allow sending texts to PSMS (Premium SMS) numbers such as 5XXXX. The only alternative that I know of is to find another way (e.g. email address, phone number) to contact them and ask them to stop. That's what I had to do with one or two such numbers. Otherwise your phone may have a way to blacklist/block such texts locally.

Hope this helps.

Anon
Not applicable

I have been texting a radio station once every morning for the last few years, including the two months or so since i joined 48. It's only since I topped up a few days ago that I have been unable to do this.  Is this a recent change in policy? Bill