cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix no network service when roaming

CormacL5992
Newcomer

Just had a pointless chat with 48 support due to a coverage issue my wife and son were having after flying to Germany. They were giving me APN settings to change to fix network coverage which is not correct at all. Network and data are two diferent things

I got it to work for them myself and here are the steps we used.

What is going on with your 48 SIM when roaming:

If you are taking your 48 SIM abroad, you may get no network coverage when first turned on in the foreign location.

These are MVNO SIMs and for roaming they use a dual-IMSI SIM to literally have you acting as one of two different mobile subscribers within the one SIM card. They do this to get cheaper roaming rates for both calls and data. They can't charge you for those costs in the EU, so they have to get the cheapest deal for them directly. Hence the SIM is configured so it can operate as a Belgacom-Proximus subscriber when you are roaming.

When you roam, you possibly need to manually switch that identity depending on where you are roaming to.

Switching MVNO IMSI Identity

On your phone there should be an app called "SIM Toolkit" or something in that ballpark. It may also appear as a settings option in your SIM/Mobile network section (the same place where roaming can be turned on/off). I'm speaking from an Android perspective here but something similar should apply for iPhones.

Launch that App and navigate through the menus as follows using either approach. Try the other if the first makes no difference. It lists all kinds of options but at the bottom there should be an option called "When Abroad". 

Then select the options as follows:

When Abroad -> Network Selection -> Automatic  (usually the best one to use)

or.. 

When Abroad -> Network Selection -> Manual -> International Roaming Profile 

When you bo back on the SIM Toolkit menus and navigate forward again, you should see an asterix (*) alongside the selected option confirming it has been changed to what you requested.

Then when you exit back to the home screen, you should hopefully start seeing the phone getting a network connection... and by that we mean coverage on some carrier and not the emergency calls only. The network coverage symbol should not show an "X" or "?". You should see coverage bars etc.

If that is not working, put the phone in airplane mode for about 20 seconds and then turn that mode off again to see if it can now attach to a roaming network. 

If that will not work, try alternating the SIM Toolkit menus again between automatic and manual as shown above and try again. 

Once you get that coverage sorted, the phone should be able to make and receive calls. Go no further until you can get that working.

APN Settings for Internet

Then you can check data services (Internet etc). For data, on the settings -> SIM section, make sure the data roaming is turned on and then check the APNs or Access Point Names.

So when you get into that APNs section, select the 48 profile if present and exit out and test internet (with wifi turned off).

If you see no APNs or just Belgacom/Proximus profiles, then use the "+" option to add a new profile. Set the name to 48 and APN to 48months.liffeytelecom.com. Leave all other options as-is. then on the top-right dot menu select the save option. When you get back to the APNs selection screen, select the newly created 48 profile to be sure its the one that is active. you can also edit the existing 48 profile to confirm that the APN field is set to 48months.liffeytelecom.com if need be.

then exit out of all menus etc, make sure WiFi is off and launch a browser and say go to rte.ie or something like that to confirm the phone is getting data services.

66 REPLIES 66

@SaikumarM4555 wrote:

This solution is not working on an iPhone in Belgium. Can anyone share the exact APN settings for the mobile data?!

Thanks.

Here:

https://community.48.ie/t5/Other-Help/Internet-not-working-on-HUAWEI-ASCEND-g6-u10/m-p/34493#M12560

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support then please click here - if the Chat Now option does not appear on that page then keep trying until it does.

JohnR4880
Newcomer

I got the phone working in spain but its stuck on proximus now im back in eire  

What do i do?

Try these posts and if they don't help then you'll have to contact 48 support.

https://community.48.ie/t5/Internet/How-to-fix-no-network-service-when-roaming/m-p/56518

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/The-Roaming-Troubleshooting-Guide/ta-p/52179

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support then please click here - if the Chat Now option does not appear on that page then keep trying until it does.

I'm currently having the same problem. Went to the UK, got on roaming, now I can't reconnect to 48 for phone amd mobile data services. Tried the sim in another phone and the same thing happened. Tried a new sim in my phone and the correct APN comes up but still can;t connect to the 48 network. Using a new Redmi Note 10 and an old Huawei P smart.

@CormacO3186 wrote:

I'm currently having the same problem. Went to the UK, got on roaming, now I can't reconnect to 48 for phone amd mobile data services. Tried the sim in another phone and the same thing happened. Tried a new sim in my phone and the correct APN comes up but still can;t connect to the 48 network. Using a new Redmi Note 10 and an old Huawei P smart.

Did you try all the tips mentioned in the first post in this thread?

AoifeC7657
Newcomer
Thanks for that!! Very easy to follow on my phone (Apple) and my husband’s phone (Samsung). Had no network on hols in Tenerife but it’s back now with those changes.

kavala
Newcomer
S20 Fe 5g

@kavala wrote:
S20 Fe 5g

It's not really clear what your question is but assuming that you're having problems with getting a network connection while roaming abroad you might want to read the links posted here as they may contain some relevant info/advice:

https://community.48.ie/t5/Internet/How-to-fix-no-network-service-when-roaming/m-p/56677/highlight/t...

Note that 48 don't support 5G (only 4G/3G/2G) and there have been some reports that they don't even support 4G while roaming abroad (only 3G/2G).

Hope this helps.

SaharL3675
Newcomer
How did ypu fix it on your iPhone, I am in Belgium and cant have data, I have tried all the settings mentioned above

If none of the suggestions posted or linked above helped then you'll have to contact 48 support for advice.

See the link in my signature below.