cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty new sim - not picking up service

aoifebrayd
Newcomer

Hi

I have been with 48 months since 2014. I have just returned from being aborad for 6 months and ordered a replacement sim with my old number. Despite having activited online, and contacting a 48 online agent - the sim was not picking up any network.

The 48 rep advised me to try the sim in another phone to determine whether it was the sim or hardware causing the problem. I purchased a tesco mobile sim and this worked perfeclty and picked up network no issue. Therefore the issue is either with the 48 sim or network.  I ordered another sim and the same issue peristed. I tried to change my network to tesco mobile but I cannot move my number as a verification code needs to be sent to my old numner which is not possible as the sim/ network isnt working!!

I am just home from being abroad, and am self islating as a result of the pandemic and have no way of ringing people (bar through wifi). I am so frustated that i am essentially snookered (my number is attached to a network that doesnt work, tesco mobile sim is working for me but I am not able to move my old number).

Kind regards

Aoife

4 REPLIES 4

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
You'll have to persist with support to get a solution as they're the only people who can sort this out.
See the link in my signature below and maybe use the chat facility at that's usually the quickest way to get help.

When you do a manual network scan does the phone see any networks at all?
What make and model of phone is it?
If it happens to be an iPhone then it may need activation with the new SIM and due to the stupid way that Apple do things this process needs to silently send a UK SMS to their activation servers to complete and in 48 you need cash credit on your account to cover the 7.38c per international SMS.
If it's not an iPhone then all that is irrelevant.

Hope this helps.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Hi

Thanks for you reply.

It doesnt appear that the chat to agent online forum is activ today (probably as a result of the pandemic).

It sounds like you are spot on. 

i had a weird issue when I inserted a new sim in New Zealand, whereby i received a phenomenal amount of texts from Vodafone  (around 40 in one hour) at the time saying I did not have enough credit to send a text. Th agent told me it was someting to so with the Apple server in UK etc etc - at the time they put .37 cent in my account just to prevent the inundation of automatic texts.

It is not picking up when I do a manual scan - I have an iphone 8 plus.

Do you think if i put credit in my 48 account it will resolve?

Thanks!

Sorry - maybe the chat is less available than before or not available at all?

I just noticed this now when I log in:

In the interest of ensuring the health and safety of our Care Crew we want to update you that our contact channels will have limited resources at times. Self-serve options such as My48 App & Web, Short Codes and the 48 Community are still available to you to use. For more tips & information, please click here

The Vodafone issue that you describe does sound like the iPhone SMS activation issue alright.

You could try putting €1 cash credit (I think that's the minimum allowed?) on your account and then try powering your phone off and then on again and see if that helps - i.e. lets it activate via the UK SMS if activation is the issue that's blocking progress here.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Chat support seems to be online again in case that's of any use.