cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5

Anon
Not applicable
Hello , I have a nexus 5 and I do not have data access after steting up the configuration from site. All data roaming and mobile data are enabled. Pls let me know what should be the issue
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thesoupthief
Visitor

Hi laurastr

I have a Nexus 5 too and really struggled with the APN settings

I've posted about it in another thread - found it and copied the settings below

The Tweakker app and the published settings didn't work so try this:

Install guides

SETTING_Internet
  1. Press the "Menu" button.
  2. Press "Settings" and scroll to and select "Wireless & networks".
  3. Select "More".
  4. Scroll to and select "Mobile networks" and "Access Point Names".
  5. Press the "Menu" button and press "New APN".
  6. Scroll to and select "Name" and enter Internet.
  7. Press "OK".
  8. Scroll to and select "APN" and enter48months.liffeytelecom.com.
  9. Press "OK".
  10. Scroll to and select "Username" and enter (No input required. Please disregard this step and continue).
  11. Press "OK".
  12. Scroll to and select "Password" and enter (No input required. Please disregard this step and continue).
  13. Press "OK".
  14. Scroll to and select "APN type" and enter "default"  LEAVE IT BLANK
  15. Press the "Menu" button and press "Save".
  16. Scroll to and select the new profile.
  17. Press the "Home" button to return to the main screen.

Whenever I switched sims (so, when I was in the UK and used a UK sim) the 48 APN settings were erased and I'd have to enter them all over again when I came home and put my 48 sim back in.  I got a new micro sim sent out and miraculously, that applies all the correct APN settings straight off with no faffing, so you might think about just getting 48 to send you a new sim and see how you fare

View solution in context

17 REPLIES 17

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Can you post your APN settings here please?

Did you reboot?

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

thesoupthief
Visitor

Hi laurastr

I have a Nexus 5 too and really struggled with the APN settings

I've posted about it in another thread - found it and copied the settings below

The Tweakker app and the published settings didn't work so try this:

Install guides

SETTING_Internet
  1. Press the "Menu" button.
  2. Press "Settings" and scroll to and select "Wireless & networks".
  3. Select "More".
  4. Scroll to and select "Mobile networks" and "Access Point Names".
  5. Press the "Menu" button and press "New APN".
  6. Scroll to and select "Name" and enter Internet.
  7. Press "OK".
  8. Scroll to and select "APN" and enter48months.liffeytelecom.com.
  9. Press "OK".
  10. Scroll to and select "Username" and enter (No input required. Please disregard this step and continue).
  11. Press "OK".
  12. Scroll to and select "Password" and enter (No input required. Please disregard this step and continue).
  13. Press "OK".
  14. Scroll to and select "APN type" and enter "default"  LEAVE IT BLANK
  15. Press the "Menu" button and press "Save".
  16. Scroll to and select the new profile.
  17. Press the "Home" button to return to the main screen.

Whenever I switched sims (so, when I was in the UK and used a UK sim) the 48 APN settings were erased and I'd have to enter them all over again when I came home and put my 48 sim back in.  I got a new micro sim sent out and miraculously, that applies all the correct APN settings straight off with no faffing, so you might think about just getting 48 to send you a new sim and see how you fare

If you leave the APN Type blank then can you send/receive MMS messages?

I thought that for the APN configuration to cover internet and MMS you needed something like "*" or "default" or "default,mms" or "default,mms,supl" etc.?

I too found that I had to mess around with the APN Type and Authentication settings to get things to work and in some cases (on some phones or ROMs) the settings were not the same as those recommended by the guides.

As I keep saying I really don't understand why it seems so difficult to get the APN configured and working in the general case on 48 (or maybe any virtual or real operator).

If you lose APN settings when roaming and then coming back then perhaps APN Backup and Restore might be of some use to you (but I think you need to have a rooted device)?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.APNBackupRestore

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Hi Dalyer,

I think picture messaging probably doesn't work - I never use them and don't know anyone who does.  It's no loss since at least I can use the internet with these settings

Also APN backup and restore doesn't work with Android 4.0 and above

Just a reminder that to send MMS you need three things ... (a) a data allowance (b) your internet/MMS APN configured correctly and (c) cash credit - 30c per MMS. That said I'm sure that there are people (like you?) who don't need MMS but others may want to configure the APN so that it works for both internet and MMS.

Apologies about APN Backup and Restore - I did not realise that it doesn't work on more recent versions of Android. But I'm sure that there are other APB backup/restore utility apps out there...?

Hope this helps.

1amcn
Rock Star

Hi lautastr

Follow up:

Have you had success with the settings?  Is your Internet up & running?

🙂

thesoupthief
Visitor
Hi Dalyer,
Configuring the APN to give Internet & MMS would be great. Not been possible for me other than by getting a new 48 sim. I settled for settings that gave Internet access.
As far as I can tell there are no apps that save / restore apns on phones later than 4.0. I read somewhere that Google disabled this as a potential risk. Might be possible if you root your phone though

Strange you cannot get MMS working but if you don't need it then I guess you can do without...? 🙂

I forgot that the security settings on more recent Android releases prevents stuff like APN backup/restore.

And yes - I think you need to root and maybe convert the user app to a system app to be able to do that.

Hope this helps.

Anon
Not applicable

i cant get it to work.....fkme,u buy a 350 quid fone and the internet set is crap!!!

i had a duel sim  android fone...internet worked a1....cost me 75 quid

any one else got a fix on this bugger???

thanks