cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently without the use of my phone

fitzg
Visitor

Hi,

I bought an iphone 4s while in America for the summer, it is factory unlocked from apple. I was with T-mobile in america and when I came home cut down my old vodafone sim to micro size and inserted that and it has worked fine since. I ordered a micro sim from 48 a couple of weeks back but received a regular sim. I cut it down to size myself and did the necessary work to ensure it would work in my phone. The same way I had done with my vodafone sim. When I put in my 48 sim it reads no sim on my phone. I have gone through registration and troubleshoooting the iphone. do you have to buy credit for the sim to even activate or should the phone be reading something? I put my old vodafone sim back in and have no service on that now. So essentially I am without a phone and really need one asap. Any thoughts?

Cheers, 

Cían

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1amcn
Rock Star

Hi

We have had numerous post's not unlike your's and if you say you have followed the troubleshooting guide for iphones on 48 - the next step is contacting apple.

There is a difference in the phone being network unlocked, & apple activating a release on the handset... we only discovered this a few weeks ago on the forum when another 48 member had the same issue as yourself!

The link below will get you started:

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Let us know if this in fact (again) was the cause...

🙂

View solution in context

9 REPLIES 9

1amcn
Rock Star

Hi

We have had numerous post's not unlike your's and if you say you have followed the troubleshooting guide for iphones on 48 - the next step is contacting apple.

There is a difference in the phone being network unlocked, & apple activating a release on the handset... we only discovered this a few weeks ago on the forum when another 48 member had the same issue as yourself!

The link below will get you started:

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Let us know if this in fact (again) was the cause...

🙂

Ya man, you were pretty spot on. They said its to dom with not being unlocked from my carrier. the only thing is vodafone want to charge me £55 for it! Is there a cheaper or free way to do it? 55s a bit steep..

1amcn
Rock Star

Hi fitzg

Vodafone may be citing the €55 fee to release the handset due to an outstanding fee/balance.
The next step is your decision, official unlock (Vodafone €55)
Or unofficial unlock - (Online or a shop that can fulfill the requirement)

(Confess to being not 100% if a safe unofficial unlock is an option with iphone's)

I can't suggest what you should do either way, as ultimately it's entirely your decision.
The only thing i will say is ... your handset is expensive and needs handled correctly - Research hard before any decision's.

Let us know how you get on.

🙂

fitzg
Visitor
Cheers, your a gent. Will let you know how it goes either way 🙂

fitzg
Visitor
I got my new micro sim and tried to register it and keep my old number but it won't let me because I have my number registered to the cut down sim. I put in the micro sim and entered the pin and it is saying no service for it. How can I get this sim to have my old number? I had to create a new account also

1amcn
Rock Star

Hi again

You need to contact 48 support as they will need to adjust your detail's, everything should be operational after.

If you want to keep your number this is the way to do so, you don't need a new 48 account.

Click on the link to ask support to activate new sim with previous number.

http://help.48months.ie/requests/new

🙂

Yes - if you want to switch to another SIM (e.g. different size/form factor) but keep your existing number/account/membership/allowances etc. then you need to contact support. See this key post:

You need a new SIM?

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

All Sorted, Cheers guys 🙂

1amcn
Rock Star

Great!

Thanks for posting back.

🙂