cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow roaming speed in Germany - switch to other provider?

RobertS7808
Newcomer

Usually I am in Germany every other week. However, due to covid, I only get there now about once or twice a year. That is the reason that I only noticed last week (first week of December 2021) that for Germany, in the Frankfurt area, you basically have "no" internet services coverage! 

When left on 4G/3G/2G auto, my mobile phone never connected to a provider. Only once I switched to "3G/2G Only", it found the local "big ones" (I think it was Vodafone and O2). 

But as these providers have ceised to offer 3G cover, you are basically stuck with near analog-modem speeds on 2G. Forget about web browsing, some apps may (or may not) cope with the slow speeds. 

Until before COVID hit, I had a Tesco Mobile contract (also on Three, I know), but I never had experienced these issues. 

so, 48.ie if you don't consider providing reasonable access in countries where 3G bascially no longer exists (I would be perfectly happy with 3G speeds while roaming, if I get them!) then I will reconsider switching away from you again ...

When will this issue be fixed (e.g. 4G acces in areas where 3G no longer exists?)?

12 REPLIES 12

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

@RobertS7808 wrote:

When will this issue be fixed (e.g. 4G acces in areas where 3G no longer exists?)?

You'll have to contact 48 support and ask them about this as they don't generally monitor or respond to queries here on the community forum.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Hi had the same problem in Poland and Germany  48 Mobile for roaming are a Fluster Cluck

Liam

ReneH0019
Visitor

They won't get away with offering lower speeds when roaming much longer as EU very recently made this practise illegal.

There are other EU countries that will also shut off their 3G to free up capacity leaving you with only 2G in these countries. Welcome back to the 1990's

So in my opinion one of these things will happen:

- 48months will volunteraly change roaming speeds to 4G

- 48months will be sued by comreg as the new law doesn't allow them to cut down your speed. 

It's a really poor showing by them I have to say.

Btw. this is the new law (also extending roam like its home for another 10 years): 

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20211205IPR18804/agreement-reached-to-extend-free-...

RajmundF4287
Visitor
it's important to note that not every country has such an extensive 3G coverage as Ireland and to have only 2G/3G access while roaming, when u have networks offering 5G roaming already is not really customer friendly. Also while you're on 2G and have EDGE data on, that's only around 160kbit/s (yes - 20kB/s, you'll transfer 1 MB in 50 seconds if you're lucky).. not suitable for anything really except very basic text sent via whatsapp). you will be also permanently unavailable to receive the call, because 2G data transfer will make your phone unavailable. This has to be sorted as soon as possible

Just back from Germany. Last few 3G services were shut down there recently so had 2G internet speeds which are a few kbit/s. Last few days had no internet at all but seems to be a known issue.

Total ****show as expected so 48months can save a few cents instead of providing 4G in the EU like pretty much any other provider.

Opened dispute with comreg. Have to say they are very responsive but not sure if anything will come of it. Definetely worth just for the experience and never had another mobile provider (had 5 different ones) that came close for me to even think about contacting comreg. But the 48month EU roaming experience did the trick 🙂 

RajmundF4287
Visitor
from 1.7.22 comes EU regulation which will force every mobile network operator to allow their customers to roam at the same conditions as they experience at home, which will effectively force 48 to provide 4G access while roaming in any EU network. That should sort these problems out

Thanks @RajmundF4287 - wasn't aware of that:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_6665

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

RoryH6952
Newcomer

This explains the terrible roaming (ort lack of) that I experienced on my recent trip. Come on 48, give us a proper (legal) service.

EDIT: just found this in 48's FAQs... 

4G roaming will be available in September. We appreciate your patience and will email our customers when it has launched.

MattM2832
Visitor
Have you been back recently to see an improvement. Heading to Germany in February and I know I'm July 22 it wasnt even 2g