cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G on Pixel 6A

CaolanH0733
Newcomer
Hi,

I got an email saying I should now have 5G on my plan. Also just signed up for the €12.99 plan that includes 5G. I have a Pixel 6A which is 5G enabled. In my settings I have selected 5G prefferd for network preference. Yet I still have only LTE network for my internet. Any help with this would be appreciated
9 REPLIES 9

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

A few people have posted about problems getting 5G recently.

You'll probably have to contact 48 support about this.

See the link in my signature below or email them at support@48months.zendesk.com

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

GrahamL0995
Newcomer
Same problem here on pixel 7. Even though I have 5g on my old Xiaomi. Support didn't help much

See this thread:

And maybe in particular this part of the discussion:

It's possible that this is a Google Pixel phone issue and not a network issue.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

jackl1236
Newcomer
It’s likely spotty 5G area coverage.

I have an iPhone SE 3 and Pixel 5, both supporting the 28(700 MHz) and 78(3.5GHz) 5G bands that 3 IE operates, yet both connect to LTE 4G with the very brief 5G connection.

Checking on Ookla’s Speedtest shows that most of Ireland reports 4G LTE as the most common connection with 3 IE, with 5G only around the big cities, and 48 Mobile having even sparser 5G connections.

> It’s likely spotty 5G area coverage.

No - the problem is that Google don't include the PLMN (MCC/MNC) for 48 (Liffey Telecom) in their list of "allowed" networks for 5G.

It's explained in this thread and confirmed by 48 near the end.

Maybe it is a stupid question, but my phone doesn't even support 5G and not that I want it anyway, but if it was a mobile phone that is 5G ready, do all the 48 customers have 5G access? (I am a 48 customer for about 3 years now), thanks. 

No - only those on the €12.99/200GB membership plan with a 5G capable phone can get 5G connectivity on 48.

(Some or all Google Pixel 5G phone users can't get it right now because Google don't currently list 48/Liffey Telecom as an "allowed" 5G network).

Hi. 
I have Pixel 7 Pro I bought on the release day. Recently, unbeknown to me, I added 48's 5G subscription and was disappointed it didn't work. 😞 It took me ages to find out why after surfing the 'net for answers.

It is bizarre that 48's 5G isn't allowed only on Google phones whereas most of other brand phones other than Pixel is allowed. Just why produce a 5G phone and not allow 5G - it doesn't make sense!

So, has 48 requested Google to add 48 to its "allowed" 5G list? Any ideas for a reason why 48 isn't allowed? We would love to know just why.

Ignore the above questions - I came across this and that answered it. I just didn't see it in the first place! 🙈

Link: https://community.48.ie/t5/Internet/5G-on-Xiaomi-but-not-on-Pixel-7/m-p/61890