cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G on Xiaomi but not on Pixel 7

GrahamL0995
Newcomer

I switched my number yesterday after trying out the sim in a spare Xiaomi phone. 5g was available immediately. Now with the sim in my Pixel 7 there's no 5g network showing up, only LTE. Any solution?

45 REPLIES 45

I think you've just got to the bones of it. It makes PERFECT sense.

How long have Tesco offered 5G for on their top plan?

Dave the DON

> How long have Tesco offered 5G for on their top plan?

Sorry, I don't know.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

I've seen reports of other Google Pixel phones using PLMN (Private Land Mobile Network) white and/or black lists to tell the handset what carriers it can/cannot connect to. Maybe the Pixel 7 uses these too? It doesn't look easy for a user to change these (needs root access and some hacking where it's even possible). Has anybody contacted Google support to ask them if it's a limitation of the Pixel 7 that it can't connect to the 48 network? Note that even if it can connect to the Three network the 48 MVNO virtual network will appear to the phone as a completely different network.

I don't know if this is relevant:

There are a few mentions of Ireland in that issue and one of eir but nothing specifically about 48.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Might contact Google, as you've suggested. I have no problem in rooting to test it out but I try to use the stock firmwares where possible nowadays. It's a can of worms, to be honest. Back in the early '10s I always had phones that were out of support and used to dabble a lot.

Dave the DON

I noticed some chat about the possibility of hacking this on XDA but didn't read it in detail.

Seems possible that any ire being directed at 48 here may be better directed at Google - not that it looks like they'll drop everything to fix it judging by the issue/bug that I linked to.

But it's still not 100% clear why this issue arises.

And I totally agree that the reply that you previously received from 48 support was not at all helpful or even relevant.

Thanks for the insight yesterday, pal!

After I dug around, it would seem that there are a plethora of support posts from folks in countries that Google does not support 5G in having the same issue. In this case, it seems Google doesn't support 48 (yet) but they do officially list Three, Eir, and Vodafone (see: https://pixel.withgoogle.com/5G/). So if I had to guess, it'll just take time, as I know for a fact that GoMo is supported, in spite of it not being officially listed (probably because like 48 it's an MVNO). Maybe if enough of us hassle Google, they'll get on it!

Dave the DON

> So if I had to guess, it'll just take time, as I know for a fact that GoMo is supported, in spite of it not being officially listed

See my reply here:

PeterJ8834
Newcomer

I have the same issue on a Pixel 7A. No 5G at all. (Have 5G on a Galaxy S24)

Three had the same issue a few years back when they launched 5G, Pixels would not pick up 5G and Three had to work with Google apparently to enable support. I guess the same thing here will need to happen but whether 48/Three will bother will be the utlimate question

Yes, the issue is most likely explained further elsewhere in this thread.

In brief, it looks like Google Pixel phones only work with certain services on "allowed" networks and, at the moment, 48 (and more than likely, Tesco) are not allowed networks for 5G.

This will probably only change when Google do an update to add the relevant PLMN (MCC/MNC) to their allowed list.

This is almost as bad as the stupid way that Apple deal with iPhone/iMessage/FaceTime etc. activation on "unsupported" networks. Actually it may be worse since at least the Apple stuff just requires some cash credit to be added to the account to pay for the required UK SMS activation messages. In the Google case Pixel users are dependent on Google doing a software update.

MariuszZ3470
Newcomer
Looks like the only solution is to go abroad. I can't get 5g working in Ireland yet I am roaming in Poland at the moment and my Pixel 8 pro connected to the 5g network without any issue, even it's not officially supported by 48 network while roaming. They only mention 4g roaming on their website.