cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G access on Google Pixel 8 Pro phone

WayneM7884
Newcomer

Was on the 10.99 plan. Upgraded to the 12.99 plan for 5g but literally haven't seen a 5g connection yet. Always LTE. On a pixel 8 pro btw.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Your problem is that Google, in their wisdom, haven't whitelisted 48/Liffey Telecom for 5G access from most or all Pixel phones. 

This isn't going to change until/unless Google update their software to allow 5G access from Pixel phones on 48 with a Liffey Telecom APN.

And there's no sign of that happening so far.

See here: 

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

7 REPLIES 7

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Your problem is that Google, in their wisdom, haven't whitelisted 48/Liffey Telecom for 5G access from most or all Pixel phones. 

This isn't going to change until/unless Google update their software to allow 5G access from Pixel phones on 48 with a Liffey Telecom APN.

And there's no sign of that happening so far.

See here: 

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Ok, cheers. might as we downgrade to the cheaper plan then

Is that an option once you've bought a €12.99 plan? 

I thought it wasn't but maybe I'm thinking of the €7.99 plan or something?

Edit: never mind, I think that this is what I was thinking of...

However, if you switch to another 48 membership (except for the 100GB €10.99) you will not be permitted to switch back to the 100GB €7.99 membership.

Is there an option to buy the €10.99 option after you try the €12.99?

I have a Pixel 8 phone and didn't know that 48's 5G is not supported on this phone. I don't see an option to get the €10.99 option now.

If you signed up for the €12.99 plan originally then I don't think that the €10.99 plan is an option. 

I think it only appears for users who signed up when it was available originally. 

But you'll probably have to contact 48 support for clarification in case I'm mistaken. 

See the links in my signature below.

I've actually contacted Google and spent half an hour online with them regarding problem with 5G on Pixel phones, so they did explain me that the problem is actually a provider which is 48, then I contacted the 48 and after some time spent online they didn't want to admit that they have troubles with Pixel phones but then they admitted it and told me that their engineers are working on this problem, i think i believe Google guys

I wouldn't take what either company's customer support say at face value to be honest. 

As far as I can see Google whitelist specific networks for 5G access based on their PLNM (MCC/MNC) and Liffey Telecom/48 isn't one of them.

Google definitely have problems with 5G access on certain networks: