cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SMPP Connection with 48

SimonB9178
Visitor
Hi all,

New user here to 48 and to date have loved the experience of swapping over. To date everything has gone smoothly and I have been waiting for that "catch" as such of a "cheap option". Sadly as I found out this evening that 48 do not offer a SMPP connection, so when I do online banking and want to add a new bill or person to pay I would normally have to enter a security code which Bank of Ireland will text me - which I can no longer receive from Bank of Ireland due to 48 not supporting a SMPP connection. So I ask myself do I get this security code by post (takes 3 days sometimes) or switch back to Three??? Has anyone else come across this problem and found a solution? 

One of my reasons for switching to 48, after the excellent value was the fact I could donate 5GB of data each month to the food cloud, helping the environment and feeding someone in need. This is a great idea, well done 48! The idea of having to receive more physical post for a silly code each time I want to add and pay someone online just seems like a waste of time & resources and a move away from better environmental impacts - digital code verus a paper version.

What are the solutions, change phone provider, bank, go snail mail, give up paying my bills (this one I like)? 48 are you listening?

I don't want to rag but also offer suggestions, such as;
Are 48 going to include a SMPP option in the future? If so at what cost? (I would pay for it).
Could there be an add-on option paid for each month or just when needed?
Are 48 planning to clearly advertise that their membership DO NOT have SMPP included before people like muggins here swaps over? Transparency is key to fighting those ill feelings brought on by those great "ah that's the catch" moments.

Thanks for listening to my silly rant and maybe someone else out there has come up against this small snag and has some enlightening inputs.  

Simon 
🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Very strange.

As I say I get such "password" texts from all services that I use.

The ones that I mentioned above and lots more both here and abroad.

Unfortunately I don't use BoI so can't comment on them specifically.

Odd and frustrating that each party is blaming the other...

Maybe any other BoI users on 48 might comment here on their experience?

I would expect that if it was a more general issue then we would have heard about it here but I can't recall BoI users posting here saying that they had the same experience.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

19 REPLIES 19

Leen9481
Visitor
Lost my phone with my 48 sim card in it just wondering if I could get a new one without changing my old 48 number

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Duplicate post

https://community.48.ie/t5/Other-Help/Lost-my-phone-with-my-old-sim-card-in-it-wondering-could-I-g/m...
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

pearse13
Newcomer

I have the same problem. I ban with PTSB. 

Can't find anywhere on the 48 website where I can talk with somebody.

Looks like I will have to change provider.

I bank with PTSB and get their texts no problem!

Just to double check I logged into my account just now and went to the eStatements area and got the text allowing me to access statements.

So there's no fundamental problem with such texts from PTSB and you should not have to move from 48 on account of this.

You should contact 48 support in case there is some specific issue with your account that is causing such texts to fail to arrive.

Hope this helps.

PaulC2100
Newcomer

What is the difference between SMMP and SMS?

I think I am in a similar situation where I have to enter a code into my VPN and my work then sends me a code via SMS to login once I put my details in. This is always from a UK number and ever since I moved to 48 it can be fine one day and then the next no messages come through, and sometimes loads come through at once because I've inputted my details about 10 times in frustration but they are hours late.

Chatted to 48 and they are going to look into it.

Is SMPP a text that disappears after a certain amount of time?

I don't think so but the links that I posted should explain.

The same issue as well.

Since I switched to 48 I cannot receive any SMS from Bank of Ireland so I cannot activate the app!

The error that I get is: "Bank of Ireland: We've experienced a problem with your mobile number." And then the customer support. phone numbers.

Any help?

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
> Any help?

Only what's already in the thread.

I find it odd that BOI seem to be the only service provider affected by this.
As I've said before all of the (many) service providers that I use that send such two factor authentication security texts work fine for me with 48.