cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Short Visit

noelok
Visitor

Spending five days in UK over Christmas. Do I need to purchase the Roaming add ons - €2 + €3 - or can I just use my Credit Balance?
Which is more cost effective?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

You don't have to buy the EU roaming add-ons but they may be more cost effective.

It really depends on how many calls you are likely to make/receive and how many texts you are likely to send.

The €3.50 EU roaming calls add-on gives you 15 mins of calls for ~23c/min same as normal roaming rates charged from your credit balance, but lets you receive calls for free (without the add-on these cost 6c/min to receive). The €2 EU roaming text add-on gives you 35 texts which is c. 5c per text compared to 7c per text without the add-on. 

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/other-call-charges

Remember that there is no data roaming abroad on 48 so you are restricted to wifi where available for internet access.

Hope this helps.

Edit: corrected SMS cost under EU roaming bundle - it's 5c per text and not 6c as I originally posted.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

6 REPLIES 6

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

You don't have to buy the EU roaming add-ons but they may be more cost effective.

It really depends on how many calls you are likely to make/receive and how many texts you are likely to send.

The €3.50 EU roaming calls add-on gives you 15 mins of calls for ~23c/min same as normal roaming rates charged from your credit balance, but lets you receive calls for free (without the add-on these cost 6c/min to receive). The €2 EU roaming text add-on gives you 35 texts which is c. 5c per text compared to 7c per text without the add-on. 

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/other-call-charges

Remember that there is no data roaming abroad on 48 so you are restricted to wifi where available for internet access.

Hope this helps.

Edit: corrected SMS cost under EU roaming bundle - it's 5c per text and not 6c as I originally posted.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks for that.  I would like to mark your response as ‘accept as solution’ but I am not seeing this option in my browser!

Oh - no idea why that is...

It appeared!! 🙂

ChristianC9705
Newcomer
Has anyone been across the border in NI or over in UK Post Brexit? How did 48 work? Anyone on new 7.99 plan? Does that still work for RoI calls/texts & can you use data? Do you need to have credit balance also for UK calls/text messages.
Ps. Which network is 48 roaming on? Is there more than 1 network available to use with 48 sim or are they blocking connection?

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
You probably need to ask 48 support some of these questions because the impact (if any) of Brexit on roaming in general and on 48 is particular is not exactly clear.

48 doesn't roam on any specific network and any should work.

If you mean calls/texts to UK numbers when in the Republic of Ireland then you still need cash credit for those. The only exception being calls to NI landlines using the 048 prefix.