cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Membership up, only 48months domain, Visa Debit useless because no access to verifying site!

padyjoe
Visitor

I've an annoying problem, happening not the first time. My membership is up but I can browse the 48months.ie domain which is a good thing because I can top up. But wait, cannot do that because before completing the purchase that stupid verified by Visa screen wants to come up which is outside domain so I get stuck there. Many of us have Visa Debit cards now, I suprised that 48months hasn't thought this through, in the top up process the browser should be allowed access that domain which requires the debit card pin. I've no other bank card, the only option now, to get internet somewhere else. Real pain in the neck!!!!

Or is the error in my system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I understand the issue.

You should contact 48 support about it to see what they say.

I don't think that the verified by VISA page can be hosted by 48 - my understanding is that it's deliberately an external/independent/secure/trusted site in order to do the verification. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure

A transaction using Verified-by-Visa or SecureCode will initiate a redirection to the website of the card issuing bank to authorize the transaction. Each issuer could use any kind of authentication method (the protocol does not cover this) but typically, a password-based method is used, so to effectively buy on the Internet means using a password tied to the card. The Verified-by-Visa protocol recommends the bank's verification page to load in an inline frame session. In this way, the bank's systems can be held responsible for most security breaches. Today, with the ease of sending white-listed text messages from registered bank senders, it is easy to send a one-time password as part of an SMS text message to users' mobile phones and emails for authentication, at least during enrollment and for forgotten passwords.

Your first post mentioned "PIN" in connection with the verified by VISA page/site - that's why I clarified that this page/site does not look for the card PIN but the verified by VISA password which is separate.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

14 REPLIES 14

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Verified by VISA is a security feature of your card provided by your bank and VISA. It's not 48's prerogative to avoid using this if it's enabled on your card. Note also that you don't enter your card PIN into the verified by VISA - you enter the verified by VISA password that you previously set up.

I'm not sure how/why you can browse to 48 but not other sites. Maybe log a support request to ask 48 support about this?

How to get help

By the way there is another option for topping up - voucher:

How do I top up? Overview of the top-up payment op... 

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

padyjoe
Visitor
Just in plain english: once membership up, data allowance is up too, so you're cut off internet bar 48months website which is a good thing because one can log in their accounts, top up, etc. My problems is verified by Visa: (I'm very much aware it's an 8 character password linked to my card, it has nothing to do with the sim card 4 character pin!), the password page is from securesite.co.uk or tsos.arcot, can't really remember. Here comes the important bit: I initiate the top up on 48months domain(with membership, internet, everything expired), then it'd load the password page which from the before mentioned domain(this is not free but still no internet allowance) but it fails because it's outside of 48months domain, not free to browse. Catch 22. If the veryfiing page was hosted on 48months I had no problems because it's inside domain so free to browse any time.

I understand the issue.

You should contact 48 support about it to see what they say.

I don't think that the verified by VISA page can be hosted by 48 - my understanding is that it's deliberately an external/independent/secure/trusted site in order to do the verification. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure

A transaction using Verified-by-Visa or SecureCode will initiate a redirection to the website of the card issuing bank to authorize the transaction. Each issuer could use any kind of authentication method (the protocol does not cover this) but typically, a password-based method is used, so to effectively buy on the Internet means using a password tied to the card. The Verified-by-Visa protocol recommends the bank's verification page to load in an inline frame session. In this way, the bank's systems can be held responsible for most security breaches. Today, with the ease of sending white-listed text messages from registered bank senders, it is easy to send a one-time password as part of an SMS text message to users' mobile phones and emails for authentication, at least during enrollment and for forgotten passwords.

Your first post mentioned "PIN" in connection with the verified by VISA page/site - that's why I clarified that this page/site does not look for the card PIN but the verified by VISA password which is separate.

Hi @padyjoe and all,

Just letting you know I've passed this on to 48 who are looking into the issue. Thanks for the feedback - very useful.

If you save a card on your account once, you won't be asked to verify it again and should therefore be able to complete the transaction all in one go under the free 48 access afterwards.

Had the same problem today

If there is any 48 admin browsing the form, the site being blocked (at least for my card) is https://tsys.arcot.com, so that seems to be the one to let through to avoid this issue.

Seems kinda wierd to bite the hand that feeds you in all...

@dbestevar Thanks for the link - I will pass on to 48 in case it helps as they are looking into the issue. Hopefully the options that dalyer mentioned will be of help in the meantime!

https://tsys.arcot.com/ is the 3-D Secure/Verified by VISA site.

On 48 when you have no data allowance left and are on carrier data (not wifi) you can only browse 48 pages.

The payment process may try to redirect to the Verified by VISA site/page and when on carrier data with no data allowance this access will be blocked.

I reckon that's what's happening here.

Hope this helps.

That's right. It's quite complicated also as different cards and banks can use different URLs for the verification, so it's not just one url to look at. We are working with our tech partners to look for a solution at the moment. I understand the frustration - hang in there! Will give some more info when a solution is found.

Thanks for looking into this. It would really help if it was sorted out.

Sometimes, it isn't always easy to locate/ get to different internet access/ a shop to renew the membership, so it would be handy if I could use the phone to topup.

I understand now though how complicated it is on your side with the different cards etc.

Hopefully a solution can be found though to make the process of accessing these types of sites easier for all of us.

Thanks