cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive sms from UK

SeanM2811
Newcomer

I ported my phone today and its been an absolute nightmare.  First of all I noticed that imessage was not activating (I had 10.99 credit on my account).  I then notice that my relatives in the UK could not send sms's to me either.

So 

I have credit on my account

I have reset network settings

I have contacted support (they gave me APN settings etc) 

I have now completely reset my iphone

None of the above work, imessage still wont activate and I still can't recieve sms text from the UK althought they can recieve them

Having gone through this process with 2 iphone in my family I thought this would be simple but it causing me real issues as I can't authenicate certain apps either for two fator 

Is there any fix other than to port back vodafone

5 REPLIES 5

SeanM2811
Newcomer
After resetting my phone I know can't verify the Signal app either. This has completely paralysed my phone and messaging

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
If, by €10.99 credit, you mean a membership then that is not enough to get Apple stuff activated because this requires one or more UK SMS messages to be sent to a UK server and international texts are not covered by membership allowances.
You need CASH credit on your account to pay for these UK texts.
7.38c per UK SMS.
See here

https://48.ie/charges/international-calls

Blame Apple and their silly processes for this hassle.
See here

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/iMessage-amp-Facetime-Set-Up/ta-p/53702

Hope this helps.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

No I don't mean the monthly fee I mean a seperate credit

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Ok, if you have cash credit on your account but the Apple activation SMS messages aren't sending to activate the iPhone and/or other Apple stuff (in particular iMessage) then I don't know and you'll probably have to contact 48 support.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks

I still am completely blocked from recieving sms's from the UK and verification numbers (? UK based).  Imessage activation gave up over night.  My credit is now down to 8.90 due to the multiple resets of my phone and the subsequent imessage set up fee. I also tried the sim in an unlocked android phone last night.....same issues plus I couldn't get any data and yes I did add the APN settings outlined.

I went into a vodafone shop this morning in the hope of porting back only to be told that I have to wait for 48hrs on this network before I can port back.

This whole situation is unbelievable.  No UK texts, no iMessage, cant verify security codes from my bank or from my COVID 19 vacine booking.  Literally I could miss my vaccine because of this. All this and I was told tech support will get back to me in 3-5 days.

My advice .... stay away from this company