O2

Three

emobile

Tesco mobile

www.unlock.ie

www.chris-it.ie

www.mobileunlocked.com

www.mobileunlockcodes.co.uk

See more info on these providers in the unlocking guide.

Have you used any other providers? Reply in this thread to suggest any other unlocking services you've used or heard about which are not listed above, and remember to rate the ones you've used here.

27 REPLIES 27

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
From the network it's locked to, online somewhere or from a third party unlock service like the ones listed above.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dougasker
Newcomer

vodafone-ireland-unlock-iphone.jpg

Don’t unlock your phone before reading this essential guide

I have put together this guide to help people unlock their phone safely and to pick their way through the sometimes precarious would of unlocking.

The first thing you should do is approach your existing operator, chances are that if your account is in “good standing” (that’s paid your bills to you and me) and your contract is expired then you should be able to get an unlock code for your phone. (Remember iPhones don’t require an unlock code, they have ben unlocked centrally in Apple’s database on the instruction of an operator or trusted unlocking company)

While the world is going digital, many people find it difficult to trust online stores. It’s not surprising that digital novices are apprehensive about purchasing items that are not tangible.

Many virtual unlocking companies turnout to be scammers that overtly wait for customers to take customer’s payment information.

If you want to learn how to purchase unlocking codes safely online, I am going to provide you with a breakdown of what fraudulent companies won’t tell you.

Read all of the Website Terms and Services Before Ordering

Unlocking codes come from the operator or the handset manufacturer and don’t come cheap so If the Prices for the Codes are Too Good to Be True- It’s Guaranteed to be a Scam. The scammer is hoping that you will give up requesting a refund because the price was say only €4.99

The Small Print SCAM

Paypal doesn’t always protect you with their “money back guarantee” program. When purchasing digital downloads or in their language “virtual goods” you are not covered by their protection. Fraudulent websites can be hard to spot because they look like many other legit sites. They are offering the codes you’ve been struggling to find, and to top it off, it’s cheaper than you expected. But in small print, at the bottom of the product, the text will read something similar to: If we cannot obtain codes, we will send you information on where you can get it unlocked. You eventually pay €1-€5 for a code, which is substantially cheaper than most sites, and all you receive is a document informing you on where to purchase codes. This scam originated on Ebay, and now I've seen this same scamming technique on other unlocking websites.

The Short-Term Unlock SCAM

Some websites will fail to mention that their unlock codes aren’t permanent. They will sell you an unlock code, and every time you switch your phone from on/off, you will have to enter in the code each time. All of our codes are permanent and once you unlock your phone it will remain unlocked.

Make Sure That if They Cannot Provide the Unlocking Code, That They Offer a Full Refund

The Back-Up Software Service SCAM

You purchase a code from a website that promises to unlock your phone; only to find out after your purchase that they cannot unlock your phone model. Instead of offering a refund, they insist you try a backup “software”. Although this may be a cheaper alternative for them, it can be costly for the customer. Because they know that customers do not  want to spend additional money for backup options and risk not being satisfied by another product, this scam isn’t frequently used; but is does happen.

The Send Away Phone SCAM

Another scam fraudulent websites use to avoid issuing a full refund, requesting the customer send in their phone. After you purchase your code, you discover that they cannot provide it, and are asked to ship your phone to them. You can either 1) Receive your phone back in the mail, unlocked or 2) Never receive your phone and hear anything back from them.

The Fake Website SCAM

After finding a website that states it can provide your code, you purchase the product and anxiously anticipate using your code. The next day when you check back on the site for a status on your code, you find that the website has disappeared. Some companies use different websites over a course of weeks and months, to get customers into spending money, but never provide the codes.

Look for Active, Credible Websites

When purchasing unlocking codes, look for websites that have received positive feedback from its customers. Use sites that appear to be operating and updated frequently. You can also utilize their contact information to verify they are a legit company. You should be able to contact them via phone, email, and/or a live chat.

Receive your Unlock Code Instructions

Once your order is complete you will instructions to get your unlock code. When you login to your members area, you should receive your unlock code and full instructions.

Author: Doug Asker Customer Service Manager http://twingr.com/unlock-cell-phone/  Kildare, Ireland

Anon
Not applicable

We used chris IT shop in thurles to unlock a phone. could not recommend him. said it would take from 24hrs to couple of days to unlock the phone. took 90euro from us that day with no receipt given. . two weeks later still no unlocking code. does not answer phone. everytime we called into shop he was not there yet five mins after we called in the third time, having been told he was not there he appeared out from the back room. not a way to do business, avoid avoid avoid 

Did you get your phone unlocked in the end?

What make/model?

€90 sounds exhorbitant to me for a phone unlock.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

bigjoeod
Regular

I used a free one for huawei, I'll fetch the link from my seach history. But basically you just specify what model it is and the IMEI number and in seconds you've a FREE unlock code. It did ask to sign up or login with facebook but I just refused it the likes of posting permissions on facebook and read what info it accesses.

I'll edit the post when I find the link.

Anon
Not applicable
Do NOT go to Chris-it unlock.
I've been waiting since July for my iPhone5c to be unlocked and iven given him €50 (luckily it was through PayPal so I have a receipt)
He hardly replied to emails, he wasn't at all pleasant on the phone and all and all its a joke really, I've been waiting for something he stayed he could provide for a price and yet nothing. I've been sending him more emails and calling but one of the excuses he used was that he had a house fire problem (?) and that he was uncontactable because of that. Really frustrated.

I thought that they were expensive in any case and I never liked the FUD factor in some of the posts (e.g. "shopping around is good but ..."):

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Joining-48/Chris-IT-ie-Free-Unlocking/m-p/8329#M136

Anon
Not applicable

Because they seem to recognise my number and ignore it, my boyfriend is going to ring them today and ask what the deal is. I have all the emails, and call times and the receipt so they really can't deny anything. They have 50eu of mine for doing absolutely nothing so I would really advise everyone to stay clear!

becca_48
Newcomer

DONT UNREGISTER WITH YOUR PREVIOUS PROVIDER B4 UNLOCKING!!!! stressful and hard your previous prodiver wont even tak to you about it 😞 

wylie123
Newcomer

$_12.JPG

Just got my Lumia Unlocked from them.

Great price and service