cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google and other apps crashing on startup

JackH8015
Visitor

After I got my SIM I manually set up the APN settings. About a week later, on Monday the 26th my phone died and when I restarted it a settings screen appeared asking me to confirm my PIN. I thought it meant my SIM PIN so entered that, no good. So then I entered my screen unlock PIN, also failed. Finally I tried the SIM PIN again just in case I got it wrong. This was also rejected. Since this was the 3rd wrong PIN it said something along the lines of "3 incorrect PINs entered, message deleted". Only then did the screen disappear and I saw the automatic mobile data settings message telling me to use PIN 0000 to confirm the settings. I thought that there would be no problem because I had set up the APN settings manually and the mobile data was working fine.

However, since that settings authenication failed various different apps such as: Xbox game pass, my podcast app AntennaPod, Google and Gmail are all crashing on startup. This authentication failure can be the only cause of this problem, because I changed nothing else about the phone. Could ye send me another settings confirmation text or is there another to fix this that I'm missing? The phone is a LG V40 if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A quick Google suggests that apps crashing on that make and model of phone may not be uncommon but I couldn't see any obvious reason or fix.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

16 REPLIES 16

Try deleting your APN, configuring it from scratch using the link that I posted and leave Authentication Type (and all other fields except the ones mentioned explicitly in that link) as Not Set.

I tried this and it still didn't work. After this I had an idea and removed the SIM copletely and restarted. The apps are still crashing so it looks like it isn't an issue with the SIM. Thanks for your help. Now I just need to figure out what caused this, atm I'm considering just doing a factory reset.

Not sure if this is of any use?

https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-lg-v40-thinq-apps-keep-crashing-1094237

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Have you tried clearing the cache of the affected apps?

And maybe the data if necessary?

Yes and I've reinstalled them too, the same thing keeps happening.

BerP7250
Visitor
Couldn't get into Google at all when setting up phone yesterday- Untrusted Connection message. Sorted it by putting in correct date & time on the phone.

@BerP7250 wrote:
Couldn't get into Google at all when setting up phone yesterday- Untrusted Connection message. Sorted it by putting in correct date & time on the phone.

Do you not just set the phone to sync with the network time?

Thanks for all the help but it looks like I'll have to do a factory reset.

A quick Google suggests that apps crashing on that make and model of phone may not be uncommon but I couldn't see any obvious reason or fix.