cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A second SIM is required...

DenisB6311
Visitor

Though I swore I wouldn't,  I finally bought my first smartphone, the result of which is that I need to order a second sim.  I've already got a €7.99 100GB sim which I want to keep, so I guess the 2nd one will have to be their current €12.99 offer.

But 48 has been fighting me all the way.

The main site for example will not let me order a second sim using the same name/address details - WHY!!!  I know that this question has been asked more than a few times here, so why hasn't someone at 48 added this basic functionality to their main site.

How do I get someone at 48 to send me out a second sim, using the name/address they already have for me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As I said already, you can't have two or more SIMs on one account.

You need a separate account/email address/phone number/membership for each SIM.

I have one SIM/account/email address/phone number for my phone and a separate SIM/account/email address/phone number/membership for the 4G router.

If you want to use more than one SIM enabled device (phone, wireless broadband router, satnav etc.) then you need separate SIMs/accounts/email addresses/phone numbers/memberships or manually swap one between the devices as needed.

There is no way with 48 to have more than one SIM on a single account or to have a clone of a SIM.

It's very easy to create new free email accounts if needed for registering for a new SIM/account and there's often no need to monitor those accounts thereafter.

Some mobile providers allow for "family" accounts through which multiple SIMs/subscriptions etc. can be managed for multiple "family" members.

I'm not aware of any Irish mobile provider that provides clones of a particular SIM.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

4 REPLIES 4

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

I ordered a second SIM (to test with a 4G router) delivered to my home address, the same as used for my main SIM (used in my main phone), no problem a week or so ago.

Obviously I had to use a different email address and use that to create a new 48 account etc.

I'm not clear on exactly where the problem arises in your case.

Maybe you can describe exactly what you did and where exactly the problem arose (including any error messages if applicable).

In case there's any confusion you cannot have more than one SIM on a single account (associated with a specific email address).

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Hi. I appreciate the response.  Your mention of your 4G router issue intrigues me - is it possible to have two sims on the same account?  I realise that both sims cannot register with the Three/48 network simultaneously, meaning that if I had say, my old 'active' sim in my router, and a newly acquired 'clone' sim in my (switched-off) mobile, could I simply switch off the router (thereby disconnecting from the Three network) & switch on the mobile phone, which would then register with the Three network, and be good to go?

Right now, I've got to physically remove my current 'largeish-in-size' 48 sim from my router, then remove the sim itself from the 'size-converter thing' so that it can be used with the smartphone - a real hassle, so not really tenable going forward, as I'll either end up breaking the sim, the size-converter or the phone!  On the other hand, I really don't have a need for 'unlimited data*' as right now, on a really active month, I'd rarely use more than 50GB of my current 100GB membership, usually it's more like 10-20GB usage.  I really only need a sim in the mobile when out & about driving, using Tom-Tom/Google-maps - it's main usage - otherwise it's left at home, where a wireless connection to my 4G router is perfectly adequate.  My normal landline calls are also catered for with my current setup, as I have a normal TE landline phone plugged into my 4G router, which apart from a bit of mains-hum, works great.

And no, I didn't realise that a second sim could not be tied to the same email address, and still don't see the logic behind that decision.  I have only one email address that I monitor daily, plus 2 others that are used for spam, so hardly ever get looked at.  Granted, now that I think about it, as I pay monthly by direct-debit, it should have little impact.

Thanks for the info.

As I said already, you can't have two or more SIMs on one account.

You need a separate account/email address/phone number/membership for each SIM.

I have one SIM/account/email address/phone number for my phone and a separate SIM/account/email address/phone number/membership for the 4G router.

If you want to use more than one SIM enabled device (phone, wireless broadband router, satnav etc.) then you need separate SIMs/accounts/email addresses/phone numbers/memberships or manually swap one between the devices as needed.

There is no way with 48 to have more than one SIM on a single account or to have a clone of a SIM.

It's very easy to create new free email accounts if needed for registering for a new SIM/account and there's often no need to monitor those accounts thereafter.

Some mobile providers allow for "family" accounts through which multiple SIMs/subscriptions etc. can be managed for multiple "family" members.

I'm not aware of any Irish mobile provider that provides clones of a particular SIM.

Yeah, I figured as much, your router mention had me briefly switch to wishful-thinking mode! So, a second account it is, time I ordered the sim I think. Appreciate the info.