Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implications of the imminent Three 3G network switch-off

KeithF0338
Newcomer

Hi all.

looking for some info on this.
I'm currently with 48 over 3 years and on the €7.99 plan.
I'm happy enough with the network sure for that price you can't go wrong.
my location has good 3G 4G coverage But no 2G coverage at all.
here's were my problem could be.
3 are meant to be turning off the 3G service this year and 3G is used for calls and texts and Data. 4G is just for Data.
I will lose my ability to Make calls over the network. Has anyone any idea what will be done when all the 3G Networks go as 48 don't support wifi calling or VOLTE
any feedback on this
I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

> 3G is used for calls and texts and Data. 4G is just for Data.

This isn't correct. 

4G/LTE supports calls, texts and data.

You should probably check the Three and ComReg 3G switch-off FAQs:

From the latter:

What will happen when 3G is retired? 

Older mobile devices that can connect only to 3G and 2G networks will continue to make and receive phone calls over the 2G network, but data services will be affected. This means your ability to connect to the web (via apps and browsers, etc.) will be slower.  

For those with a 4G or 5G-enabled smartphone or device, this change is not likely to affect you. 

If your phone isn't 4G/5G enabled and you don't have 2G coverage then you'll probably have to upgrade to continue using calls/texts/data services.

If you need to contact 48 support about this then see the links in my signature below.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

If your carrier doesn't support volte but has 4G, then most likely, your phone switches to 2G Or 3G during a call, and 2G data is quite slow for real time use of the internet. Again, the fix to this problem is to change your carrier to one that supports volte and use wifi.
48 don't support volte.

> If your carrier doesn't support volte but has 4G, then most likely, your phone switches to 2G Or 3G during a call, and 2G data is quite slow for real time use of the internet

Yes, but is it actually a very common use case for somebody to make a 4G call and want to use the internet/connected apps at the same time? Don't think I've ever done that myself to be honest.

> Again, the fix to this problem is to change your carrier to one that supports volte and use wifi.

If you really need data access while on a 4G call, yes. But do many people depend on this?

I'm not sure if 5G connectivity brings different possibilities with regard to this sort of use case?

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.