cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN settings won't save when roaming in Germany

ChristianeP2201
Newcomer

Hi, I have seen the thread by Cormac but this solution is not working for me in Germany (How to fix no network service when roaming)

I have just returned from Germany, and my data roaming yet again has not worked. The data roaming connection was really slow and unusable, I had to find WiFi all the time. I read through the help section already, but the issue is as soon as I arrive in Germany, my APN settings are being deleted or I can only see "tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com" APN (which neither works), and when I try to manually enter the 48-APN settings, it NEVER allows me to save them. As soon as I enter MCC (272), or MNC (11), and then save it, the APN simply disappears! If I try without MCC and MNC, the connection is totally useless. If I try to save MCC and MNC, the APN setting disappears.

This is what I have tried:

- tweakker setting for my Galaxy A51: configuration message never arrives
- Data roaming enabled
- Mobile Data enabled
- 48-SIM menu: "When Abroad": "Automatic network selection" - also alternated with "Manual selection" and synched with network settings, no joy
- NOT on airplane mode!!
- manually setting of APN:
APN: 48months.liffeytelecom.com
MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 272
MNC: 11
APN Type: default,mms,supl
-> simply won't save and disappears!

I can only enter Name: 48 Internet, and APN: 48months.liffeytelecom.com, and this gives a really bad internet connection. Tried select manually selecting network operators, for e.g. if I try to select Telekom.de, it tells me the SIM-card is not able to connect to this network. It automatically selects either O2 or Vodafone.

MCC and MNC are prepopulated with other numbers (I think 202 and 08 respectively), and when I edit it won't save and disappears, as described above.

Somebody please help as I can't have this problem each time I travel abroad! What am I doing wrong, or does 48.ie roaming not work with partners in Germany for some reason, is there no roaming agreement in place with Germany?? It's the exact same for my whole family, we are 5 people on the same plan, same issue with each device, each time. Phone and text messages work no problem! Thank you!!!

3 REPLIES 3

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Are the threads linked here of any use?

https://community.48.ie/t5/Internet/How-to-fix-no-network-service-when-roaming/m-p/56677/highlight/t...

If not then you'll have to contact 48 support.

See the link in my signature below.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

RobertS7808
Newcomer

hi, I had the same issue on my dual sim Sony Xperia 5. 

Due to Covid, I only travel now and then and only during my last trip last week I spent some time to figure out, what the problem was on MY (!) phone, so this may or may not be applicable to your situation! 

In my case, the issue was related to having selected 4G/3G/2G. 

With that setting, my phone was not able to establish any valid connection to one of the major providers (I think it offered both, O2 and Vodafone but migh be mistaken). It constantly tried to establish a 4G connection, which failed and it never reverted back down to a lower type (3G/2G). 

Once I had changed to 3G/2G Only, it found a provider on 2G. Germany seems no longer to offer any 3G services, at least NOT in Frankfurt where I was! Bummer!

After it succesfuly connected via 2G, I was able to enter correct APN settings, which were "retained" but with a painfully slow internet connection ... forget about browsing ... if you are lucky, some apps might work if you give them long enough time, e.g. I was able to use the rmv.de app to my my train ticket but only after some nerve racking delays! 

it is rather shameful that 48 advertises EU Roaming but in reality, in countries where 3G basically doesn't exist anymore, your are left behind with near analog modem speeds ... after realising this, I am reconsdiering switching back to Tesco Mobile, where I did NOT have that issue in the past ... (maybe I have it now, who knows as they also use the same Three network in Ireland ...). 

Good luck! 

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thank you so much for your feedback, glad I am not the only one! 🙂

Next time I am over I will try to change to 2/3G as well. Otherwise, the only other option I see is changing provider or trying to get a local SIM card when abroad.

Bets wishes,

C.