cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G on Xiaomi but not on Pixel 7

GrahamL0995
Newcomer

I switched my number yesterday after trying out the sim in a spare Xiaomi phone. 5g was available immediately. Now with the sim in my Pixel 7 there's no 5g network showing up, only LTE. Any solution?

45 REPLIES 45

As of 2022, "Roam Like Home" rules mean that you are entitled to the same type of service in the EU as you are at home.

https://www.comreg.ie/advice-information/roaming-2/using-your-mobile-within-the-eu/

So if 5G is available here, then if available in the EU country you're roaming in via the network partner, they can't withold that anymore and slap you on 3G to save a few bucks.

Dave the DON

Be that as it may, the issue here is that it is Google who are effectively blocking 48/Liffey Telecom users from being able to use 5G on the relevant Pixel phones by not whitelisting the relevant PLMN (MCC/MNC) for 5G connectivity purposes.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

The issue has been explained elsewhere in the thread.

48 5G will not work on the affected Pixel handsets until the phone software is updated to identify 48/Liffey Telecom as an "allowed" network for 5G connectivity.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

DiegoP8172
Newcomer
I got the same issue but with the pixel 6. It's driving me bonkers. I'll try support again, but I honestly think they don't have a clue either. Has anyone been able to to get this fixed? If I can't get it fixed I wasted 25€ cause I can't be using LTE as my internet!

We know why it's happening. It's a Google thing, not unfixable, but it will require 48 to intervene. It's essentially a whitelist thing Google have for 5G per carrier on their devices and 48 isn't on it (yet). There are full explanations abound throughout this thread, so I'd suggest giving it a full read.

Dave the DON

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Just posting this for reference purposes:

At the time of writing only eir, Three and Vodafone are listed.

As far as I know GoMo uses an eir PLMN (MCC/MNC) so is also covered.

That page also says...

Unlisted carriers’ 5G networks may or may not work with Pixel phones.1

Pixel phones work with all major carriers. But not all Pixel 8 Pro, Pixel 8, Pixel Fold, Pixel 7a, Pixel 7 Pro, Pixel 7, Pixel 6a, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 6, Pixel 5a (5G), Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a (5G) phones work on all 5G networks. Check with your carrier to make sure your phone works on its 5G network.