cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G (2G) data roaming only

RajmundF4287
Visitor
I'm dissapointed that 48 still doesn't allow to use 4G roaming and you can connect to 3G network only while roaming. Also in the UK the only network allowed is O2-UK and 3G connection only. While it's quite good in the Republic of Ireland, it has a very limited use abroad. Many foreign mobile operators are limiting and converting 3G coverage already and focusing only on a 4G and 5G so this is quite frustrating
28 REPLIES 28

AnthonyL0739
Newcomer
I was in Germany in July data worked fine after setting up my phone for roaming, was in U.K. beginning of August data was fine, back in Germany now, data worked first two days here then went to 2g cannot get 3G for a week now, contacted 48 4 times usual answer from support agents, change APN, then blamed network over here when that didn’t work, told them work colleagues on Vodafone and Eir have no issue with their data, was told to order a new sim, reading posts on here I thinking now have 48 restricted my data to 2g

demz
Newcomer
@AnthonyL0739 I am having exact same issue in The Netherlands this week. My 48 SIM has connected to Vodafone network but no 3G, only 2G/E after 2 days. Extremely annoying. Will probably be switching networks since 48 cant seem to conquer EU roaming.

AnthonyL0739
Newcomer
@demz I was looking at Vodafone and they have a PAYG sim for €20 top up each month unlimited calls and texts to any network and 20gb of data, I’m going to get that when I get home and use it while aboard again, 48 works fine for me at home for the most part, was getting no service appearing a month ago a few times but seemed to work itself out again. I’m seriously considering contacting comreg to see can this be investigated, there’s something definitely iffy going on with 48 regarding roaming, and theres too many of these threads to ignore that there’s an issue .

SeanC3754
Newcomer
I just read here that 4G services are NOT available while in EU/UK.

It's in the bullet points.

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/The-Roaming-Troubleshooting-Guide/ta-p/52179

AnthonyL0739
Newcomer
@SeanC3754 Yes I am aware of that, however reading other posts by users they say EU Networks don’t support 3G anymore, so 48 aren’t admitting any issue with their service, clearly there is, talking with agents they will tell you 4G is available to you, I’ve been back to Germany in September same issue no 3G connectivity, I used a Vodafone PAYG sim with unlimited data ( restricted to 10mb speed) to get me through. 48 works fine at home which is why I’m staying with them.

LouLouP3078
Newcomer
48 has no roaming agreement to offer 4G in Europe. 3G if you are lucky and hard to setup too. Cheap service, prefect for home but useless for travelling.

In case it hasn't been posted already, anybody intending to roam or having problems while roaming should probably read the threads linked here.

https://community.48.ie/t5/Internet/How-to-fix-no-network-service-when-roaming/m-p/56677/highlight/t...

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

AnthonyL0739
Newcomer
I’ve been out in Germany every month since July and data only connects to 2g, Agents will tell you 4G is available to you, but in the roaming section you will read limited to 3G while roaming, I’ve tried all settings and changes it does not work, I just got a Vodafone sim for €20 top up with unlimited data to get me by, I also found service can drop and I have to switch on and off flight mode to get it back, 48 need to be a bit more forthcoming with their limitations, works great at home for me but not so good aboard.

MarkD9907
Visitor

I’m have been getting 4G in Italy and France this year. The upgraded sim is a real game changer as the roaming is usually automatically added now and it reverts automatically on returning to Ireland. Getting roaming abroad used to be a real palaver. So much better this year with the new sim.