cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G (2G) data roaming only

RajmundF4287
Visitor
I'm dissapointed that 48 still doesn't allow to use 4G roaming and you can connect to 3G network only while roaming. Also in the UK the only network allowed is O2-UK and 3G connection only. While it's quite good in the Republic of Ireland, it has a very limited use abroad. Many foreign mobile operators are limiting and converting 3G coverage already and focusing only on a 4G and 5G so this is quite frustrating
28 REPLIES 28

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

I'm not sure why you say "3G (2G)" in the thread title - 3G and 2G are different standards.

I cannot find anything to clarify what, if any, limitations there are on EU/UK data roaming on 48.

But from experience EU roaming was never tied to specific networks and could be used on any.

Not sure about the 4G vs 3G issue though.

You should contact 48 support and ask them to clarify if your experience in the UK is expected.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

I said that you can access only 3G and 2G data roaming. 4G (5G) unavailable. The problem is that their agents doesn't have a clue about this issue and some of them still think this is a phone settings issue.

I visited with 48 at least 3 EU countries and none of them allowed me to use 4G network of any of the roaming partners, with some countries allowing to select only 1 network out of 4. Selecting the network manually doesn't work - phone will search for all the available networks, but if you choose any of the other in the list, phone will say 'your sim does not allow connection to this network' so it's obviously 48 issue and their lax roaming availability

I roamed in France a couple of years ago and could connect to any network.

Not sure what data standard I was getting but I have a feeling that it was 4G.

Maybe something has changed in the meantime and only some networks and data standards are available in some countries?

5G is definitely not available on 48 when roaming or even when here in Ireland.

I'm not sure why support can't clarify things better for you and the wider 48 community...

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

I was in the north yesterday with another 48 user and can confirm that both of us could only connect to O2-uk 3G or 2G. Trying the o2 4G failed as did all other uk metworks including 3 which surprised me. Is it normal for 48 to restrict data roaming to 3G (or worse) and no 4G? If that's the case will have to see if GoMo is any better...

No 4G access in roaming at all anywhere in the EU. Foreign networks will let you roam in 2G or 3G networks only. You won't be able to connect to 4G network while roaming. Funny part is that when you ask support about that, they will insist that you have to set up your phone the way it will be able to connect to 4G but this is absolutely not true. Also when asking what networks in countries you can access (for example Slovakia), they will name you 3 (Orange, Telekom, O2) out of 4 networks in that country you can roam in, but in reality your SIM card will be able to connect to O2 only and maximum is very limited 3G, because they abandoned 3G development and are actually about to discontinue 3G completely to support 4G and 5G only. Also when I tried to manually select network, for example Orange, the phone said 'YOUR SIM DOESN'T ALLOW CONNECTION TO THIS NETWORK' so this is NOT a phone issue, but network issue. 48 customer service is delusional and they deceive their customers. Yes - the service is cheap, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able roaming services fully same as home up to limit what they advertise.

That's very poor if true, and my experience would back that up. It's definitely not a phone issue, I had an android and iphone refuse to connect to anything other than O2-UK 3G. I worked for years for a large red mobile operator too so know very well how roaming provisioning works and this is nothing to do with the phone. I wouldn't mind if they were just honest and advertised it as 3G only while roaming. 

> 5G is definitely not available on 48 when roaming or even when here in Ireland.

The €12.99 membership plan now includes 5G.

eilisg
Newcomer
Same here. 48 months cheap and cheerful, however roaming data service is awful. I am a frequent traveller. Hubby with Vodafone so we use that abroad - 48 worse than useless abroad unfortunately. Pity as they are v cost effective option at home, esp when multiple kids in family, it all adds up

@eilisg wrote:
Same here. 48 months cheap and cheerful, however roaming data service is awful. I am a frequent traveller. Hubby with Vodafone so we use that abroad - 48 worse than useless abroad unfortunately. Pity as they are v cost effective option at home, esp when multiple kids in family, it all adds up

Are you saying that data did not work at all for you or that it did work but was too slow or unreliable to be usable or something?

What did you try to get it to work properly?