cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new phone,Updates,and small R beside signal

dermo33
Visitor

I just bought a new Nokia 7 plus android one device and stuck in my 48 sim to it. This phone is an Android One device meaning it is to get frequent firmware updates. Of course I turn on the phone the first time and there are no updates. Nokia care say updates are dependent on location and carrier. I believe 48 is on the 3 network so my main question is

When Over the air firmware updates are ready. Is it the responsibility of 3 or 48 to release them to users. Will I get my OTA updates when 3 release them ?

The other issue I have on my phone is that there is a small R beside the mobile signal in my notification area and I have to turn on roaming in order to use my mobile data. I understand that this R just basically means that Im on a network 48 that uses another network 3

But is there any way to remove this R. Can I add anything to apn settings to remove it

7 REPLIES 7

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
48 don't push out phone software updates so you'll have to download them from Nokia and install them yourself.

48 is a "virtual" network operating on the Three physical network so most phones assume that they are roaming all the time and need roaming enabled to work.
This does not incur any additional costs.
Just ignore the "R" on the signal bars as it doesn't mean much in this context.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dermo33
Visitor
Thanks for the reply,but are you sure about that.Nokia provide no other methods for updating.Its OTA only.Your telling me anyone who relies on OTA updates on 48 Dont get any.

Surely they come along when 3 release them. I'll probably talk with support tomorrow

dermo33
Visitor
guy on chat says updates will come.Guess not in your case as your on xaoimi do yiu eould havd to fo it manually

Even if 48 support told you that I'd be very skeptical.

Unless they mean that your phone will automatically get updates over wifi or carrier data from Nokia.

I'm 99% sure that 48 don't push software updates for any phones themselves and 100% sure that they don't supply phones at all.

You might want to double check with them and post what they say here verbatim.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dermo33
Visitor
Well I explained to this guy my question and he said that they can push the updates for android and Ios when they're available. I understand 48 don't sell phones but tesco do and they use the Three network. I am a bit cautious about it though. There's an update due for my phone within the next week or so, so will see what happens

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Maybe double check with them and mention my skepticism.
Maybe I'm wrong but I was always pretty sure that 48 don't push updates for any phones.
Tesco may be different because they also sell phones so are a different type of operation than 48.
Three is largely irrelevant here as they just sell network capacity to virtual operators such as 48 (I know they're a subsidiary of Three but they're basically a separate operation), Tesco, Virgin Mobile, Lyca Mobile etc.

Hope this helps.

dermo33
Visitor
I might just open a chat with them tomorrow and link this thread to them to make sure they know what I'm talking about.