cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM won't register to 48 network on return from Italy

RonanD4530
Newcomer

hi,

I've just returned from Italy where I was unable to access any data while roaming.   I was able to make and receive calls and texts.   My problem now is that I've no service at all (data, calls or texts) now that I'm back in Ireland.  

When I turn-off auto-select of a network, my phone now shows "48 4G" as an available network (among all the usual ones (Vodafone, Meteor, etc) but if I select it, I get "the network service you selected is unavailable. we recommend turning on Auto Select".     If I turn on auto-select, I get "cannot connect to this service at the moment - try again later".

My phone is a OnePlus 9.    I've been on My48 for several months and the service was working fine until I left the country last week.   My home page shows that i should have unlimited calls and texts.  I tried the 48 SIM in my old OnePlus 5 and the same problem shows up.

I'll log a call with support in the morning - just wondering if anyone has seen a similar problem.

thanks,

ronan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RonanD4530
Newcomer

This is now solved.   For others who may have the same issue, user Dalyer pointed out in a separate thread that the following page had the correct info:  

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/The-Roaming-Troubleshooting-Guide/ta-p/52179.

I followed this part which was relevant and which worked (assuming you've already downloaded and used the 48 Sim Menu app when roaming):

"Once you arrive back in Ireland your handset should reconnect automatically to your 48 home service but if it doesn’t then just follow the below 

Open 48 Sim Menu >> When abroad >> Network selection >> Automatic"

-ronan

PS

>>The APN really shouldn't have any effect one way or another on calls and texts so the fact that you say it did seems very odd.

Indeed.   I had followed the instructions on the above page re "Unable to Use data while roaming?"   and I must have entered those APN details 4 or 5 times to no avail with no impact on anything (ie my calls, texts still worked but data did not).  The agent asked me to remove the existing APNs and add one with just the following:

Name- 48 Internet
APN - 48months.liffeytelecom.com

...and that's when my texts stopped working.

View solution in context

1 REPLY 1

RonanD4530
Newcomer

This is now solved.   For others who may have the same issue, user Dalyer pointed out in a separate thread that the following page had the correct info:  

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/The-Roaming-Troubleshooting-Guide/ta-p/52179.

I followed this part which was relevant and which worked (assuming you've already downloaded and used the 48 Sim Menu app when roaming):

"Once you arrive back in Ireland your handset should reconnect automatically to your 48 home service but if it doesn’t then just follow the below 

Open 48 Sim Menu >> When abroad >> Network selection >> Automatic"

-ronan

PS

>>The APN really shouldn't have any effect one way or another on calls and texts so the fact that you say it did seems very odd.

Indeed.   I had followed the instructions on the above page re "Unable to Use data while roaming?"   and I must have entered those APN details 4 or 5 times to no avail with no impact on anything (ie my calls, texts still worked but data did not).  The agent asked me to remove the existing APNs and add one with just the following:

Name- 48 Internet
APN - 48months.liffeytelecom.com

...and that's when my texts stopped working.