cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

going abroad

ciwi
Newcomer
Hi there,

Im travelling to england tomorrow and ive paid my guido membership...will i be able to text english numbers when im over there or do i still need to by roaming add ons even though I wont be texting irish numbers?
7 REPLIES 7

1amcn
Rock Star

Hi

You have a choice of having 'credit' in your balance, or, to purchase a EU Roaming Add on.

The Add-on work's out the better choice , but this is your decision, to answer your question about the Guido - because you are Abroad, your monthly membership will not allow you to call or text as you would at home.

Have a read of the pricing below to get an idea.

EU roaming calls/text add-ons cover calls/texts to all international numbers and Irish numbers .

You can buy more than one EU roaming add-on  in advance if you need more minutes and texts You'll get a text when you have used up your roaming add-on allowances

If you use up the 15 minutes you get with the EU roaming calls add-on you can still receive calls for free for the add-on month If you've used up the add-on allowances then your outgoing calls/texts will be charged from your credit balance

Roaming charges:

All incoming/outgoing calls and outgoing texts will be charged from credit balance.      

Standard EU roaming charges (without EU roaming add-on):
Making calls and calling your voicemail*29c
Receiving calls*8c
Sending texts9c
Receiving textsFree

Rest of Europe:
Making calls and calling your voicemail*29c Receiving calls*8c
Sending texts9c
Receiving textsFree

Oceania:
Making calls and calling your voicemail€3.09
Receiving calls€2.19
Sending texts39c
Receiving textsFree

North America:
Making calls and calling your voicemail€1.99 Receiving calls€1.89
Sending texts39c - Receiving textsFree

I hope this give's you a better understanding.

🙂

@1amcn wrote:

EU roaming calls/text add-ons cover calls/texts to all international numbers and Irish numbers .

This is wrong. EU roaming calls/texts add-ons only cover calls/texts to Irish numbers while roaming in the EU:

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/add-on-rules

"You may use your EU Roaming add-ons for making calls to or sending texts to the Republic of Ireland while in EU Countries only."

If you are roaming in the UK and call or text a UK number then it's charged from your credtit balance at the normal rates - 50c/min or 25c/text. 

Even if you are not going to call Irish numbers the EU roaming add-on may be useful for the free incoming calls.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

@ciwi wrote:
will i be able to text english numbers when im over there or do i still need to by roaming add ons even though I wont be texting irish numbers?

You will need credit - 25c per text.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

1amcn
Rock Star

I have sent off a copy for Editing to be made by mod's - see last paragraph.

I'm out of Ireland and I want to use my 48 phone there    
1. What works and what doesn't work while you're abroad
Calls/Texts: 48 supports roaming for calls and texts Internet: We don't support data roaming.
If you want to use your internet abroad, it's best to use the local wifi 
MMS/picture messages: You'll have to use data to send these so they won't work while you're abroad
2. What are the costs?
EU roaming:   If you're travelling within the EU your cheapest option is to buy one of our EU roaming calls/text add-ons

EU roaming calls/text add-ons cover calls/texts to all international numbers and Irish numbers

🙂

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Is that info from another page on the site meaning that there's inconsistent/conflicting info about this?

1amcn
Rock Star

Small inaccurate piece of text within the MPQ section.

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/48-abroad/m-p/46#roaming

A little text adjustment needed to MPQ Using my phone abroad on 48!

I have passed over for Mod's attention.

🙂

Ok - that's confusing alright. So it's not clear if the EU roaming calls add-on outgoing call minutes are to Irish numbers (mobiles and landlines?) only or to any EU numbers (mobiles and landlines)?