cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google and other apps crashing on startup

JackH8015
Visitor

After I got my SIM I manually set up the APN settings. About a week later, on Monday the 26th my phone died and when I restarted it a settings screen appeared asking me to confirm my PIN. I thought it meant my SIM PIN so entered that, no good. So then I entered my screen unlock PIN, also failed. Finally I tried the SIM PIN again just in case I got it wrong. This was also rejected. Since this was the 3rd wrong PIN it said something along the lines of "3 incorrect PINs entered, message deleted". Only then did the screen disappear and I saw the automatic mobile data settings message telling me to use PIN 0000 to confirm the settings. I thought that there would be no problem because I had set up the APN settings manually and the mobile data was working fine.

However, since that settings authenication failed various different apps such as: Xbox game pass, my podcast app AntennaPod, Google and Gmail are all crashing on startup. This authentication failure can be the only cause of this problem, because I changed nothing else about the phone. Could ye send me another settings confirmation text or is there another to fix this that I'm missing? The phone is a LG V40 if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A quick Google suggests that apps crashing on that make and model of phone may not be uncommon but I couldn't see any obvious reason or fix.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

16 REPLIES 16

CarolM4316
Newcomer

Just configure your settings manually:

https://community.48.ie/t5/Other-Help/Internet-not-working-on-HUAWEI-ASCEND-g6-u10/m-p/34493#M12560

I don't see how incorrect APN settings would cause apps to "crash" - unless you actually mean that they simply do not connect?

Hope this helps.

Edit: and once again my posts appear under the wrong username - @CarolM4316 instead of @dalyer! 😐

Thanks for the suggestion but as stated above the data is working fine, the APN settings are correct. I think the failure to authenticate that text has broken something. The apps hard crash on startup, as in they open for half a second before crashing to the homescreen. But there is no connection problem for the apps that are working such as firefox and netflix. It's really wierd.

I use the settings in the link that I posted above and nothing crashes on me.

Have you tried clearing the cache of the affected apps?

And maybe the data if necessary?

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Some of the instructions on this site suggest setting the APN Authentication Type to some value but I always leave it blank and have never had any problems. If you have it set try clearing it and see if that helps?

Some of the instructions on this site suggest setting the APN Authentication Type to some value but I always leave it blank and have never had any problems. If you have it set try clearing it and see if that helps?

I just changed the authentication type to none and restarted, it has made no difference.

Strange - I have no other idea what the issue might be so.

I use the settings in the link above and use some of the apps that you mention and have no problem with them...

Can you set Authentication Type to "Not set" rather than "None"?

That's what I have.

You might have to delete your existing APN and configure it from scratch in order to leave that field "Not set" rather than "None".

That's what I have.

On this phone it just shows as None, surely it's the same thing. There is no Not Set option.

I think that the APN settings are correct but the failure to authenticate the automatic message has caused the phone to react very weirdly. I think the only solution is the get the message re-sent.

@JackH8015 wrote:

That's what I have.

On this phone it just shows as None, surely it's the same thing. There is no Not Set option.

I think that the APN settings are correct but the failure to authenticate the automatic message has caused the phone to react very weirdly. I think the only solution is the get the message re-sent.

Edit to my post above crossed.

Try deleting your APN, configuring it from scratch using the link that I posted and leave Authentication Type (and all other fields except the ones mentioned explicitly in that link) as Not Set.

Not set and none are not the same as far as I am aware.