cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G (2G) data roaming only

RajmundF4287
Visitor
I'm dissapointed that 48 still doesn't allow to use 4G roaming and you can connect to 3G network only while roaming. Also in the UK the only network allowed is O2-UK and 3G connection only. While it's quite good in the Republic of Ireland, it has a very limited use abroad. Many foreign mobile operators are limiting and converting 3G coverage already and focusing only on a 4G and 5G so this is quite frustrating
28 REPLIES 28

DavidW4629
Newcomer
I am having the exact same issue being in Germany at the moment. I am actually wondering if this is allowed according to EU roaming regulations. There is a reason why this is called "roam like home" but I am not seeing that.

AoifeD2796
Newcomer
I think I’m having similar issues although I can’t even connect to a network. I’m in Italy in area I’ve previously always had coverage and now if I manage to connect to a network, once I try turn on 3G it turns straight to no service. I’m away for 2 months so not like it’s only a problem for a little while.

The challenge is real.

Worst case scenario: your phone won't pick up any network signal for more than a few seconds.

To fix it on iPhones, go to Settings > Mobile Data > SIM Applications > When Abroad > Network Selection > Manual

Remember to follow the same steps to switch from "Manual" to "Automatic" once you get back on Irish soil.

While in Italy, you can only get 3G or EDGE (2G). No 4G available.

Not sure why, but I am pretty confident there is no actionable solution from end users.

I wonder what 48's stance is.

@MaurizioA9167 wrote:

The challenge is real.

Worst case scenario: your phone won't pick up any network signal for more than a few seconds.

To fix it on iPhones, go to Settings > Mobile Data > SIM Applications > When Abroad > Network Selection > Manual

Remember to follow the same steps to switch from "Manual" to "Automatic" once you get back on Irish soil.

While in Italy, you can only get 3G or EDGE (2G). No 4G available.

Not sure why, but I am pretty confident there is no actionable solution from end users.

I wonder what 48's stance is.

https://community.48.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/iPhone-abroad-issue/td-p/36862 

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

MarkD9907
Visitor

In France. Cut off for 3 days. Engaged with assistance and back in contact. APN 48 Internet then add APN 48months.liffeytelecom.com worked. Strange trying to sign in to orange network without any linkage details but it worked. What an ordeal.

MarkD9907
Visitor
1) From the Home screen, swipe up, then tap Settings.
Tap Wi-Fi & network > SIM & network > Access Point Names.

Add the below 2 lines in APN and save it-
Name- 48 internet
APN - 48months.liffeytelecom.com

Then enable the data roaming.

Manual network selection (For calls and texts)

For Android. From the Home screen, swipe up, then tap Settings.
Tap Wi-Fi & internet > SIM & network > Network operators.
Tap Choose automatically to turn off, then tap Ok.
Select from the list of available networks.
Try connecting to every single network and see which one gives the strongest connection.

I think that the problem is that for some people, even when they ensured that the APN field was changed back to 48months.liffeytelecom.com after it unilaterally changed to internet.proximus.be or whatever, they still couldn't get it working. And some people on both iOS and Android failed to even get a connection to a network for just calls/texts while roaming in Europe. It's very odd and it looks like several people failed to get anything working while roaming even though it should just work...

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

ValerioM5699
Newcomer

Same here

I am in Italy - both me and my wife unable to have a decent connection.

If we are lucky, we get 3G to browse with one carrier only (WindTre) - speed test says 0.8 Mb/s this morning.

Everyone else (Vodafone, TIM, Iliad) only allow us to use EDGE connection.

Asked support 3 times and every single time they mentioned settings to be changed (and they were up-to-date).

I am seriously thinking to change because as frequent traveller I cannot rely on Edge while Gomo will allow me to use 4G everywhere

RajmundF4287
Visitor
I don't know why is such a problem to write in roaming section which mobile networks you can log into while roaming and what network (3G, 4G) is available

It's been a few years since I was roaming abroad (NI, France, Spain) but at that time I could connect to any/all local networks. Maybe something has changed since then but I don't recall anything being posted by 48 about this if it did.