cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant activate sim on iphone 6

IanW1216
Visitor

Hi

I have an iphone 6 with a three sim and I want to move to 48, I made an account and activated the sim on my tablet and bought the 100gb plan.

The issue is that when I put the sim into the phone it says that the sim is not supported and to unlock the phone (it is unlocked) and when I try to log into the 48 app it hangs on the page that you put your email and password in. If i put them in wrong it says that but otherwise its just looping there and not doing anything.

11 REPLIES 11

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
The usual Apple stupidity unfortunately.
They insist on having iPhones/iMessage/FaceTime "activating" on networks.
On some networks this needs to send a once off SMS behind the scenes to a UK activation server.
On 48 and other networks intentional SMS messages are not included in default allowances.
On 48 you need to put €1 on your account so that there is cash credit to pay for these messages - 8c/SMS.
Do that, switch the phone off and on again and it should start working.
Blame Apple for this unnecessary complication.

Hope this helps.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Oh and forget about the app and just use the website.
The app has been on the blink for about a week due to what looks like server side problems.
You can access your My48 account as easily on the website.

Hope this helps.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks for the reply. I followed instructions,  have a euro credit.  It still says SIM not Supported.  Anything else I can try.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Are you absolutely sure that the phone is unlocked for use on any network?
Even if it was on Three before it still needs to be unlocked to work on 48.

Sounds to me that it's locked to Three...

Hope this helps.

Yes it is unlocked, it was originally a vodafone then ported over to Three, i think there is a Three number on this SIM as well, perhaps that is what is holding things up,  i'll speak to someone at 3 and see if there is something they can do.  Thanks for your help, cheers.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
I don't understand what you mean by there being a Three number on the SIM.
I presumed that you were using a 48 SIM here?
If it's saying that the SIM is not supported and is telling you to unlock it then it sounds like the phone is locked to another network in spite of what you're saying.

Hope this helps.

MichaelM4923
Newcomer

I

@IanW1216 wrote:

Hi

I have an iphone 6 with a three sim and I want to move to 48, I made an account and activated the sim on my tablet and bought the 100gb plan.

The issue is that when I put the sim into the phone it says that the sim is not supported and to unlock the phone (it is unlocked) and when I try to log into the 48 app it hangs on the page that you put your email and password in. If i put them in wrong it says that but otherwise its just looping there and not doing anything.

have a iphone 7 and the sim card is not supported under the activation policy that is currently signed by the activation server.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
You need cash credit on your account to pay for the UK SMS that gets sent automatically to a UK activation server due to the stupid way that Apple do things.
Put €1 cash credit on your account and switch the phone off and on again and it should activate.

Hope this helps.

IanW1216
Visitor
This exact same problem is what I wrote in about, I too have an iPhone 6 and I added 1€ to my account and still have not been able to get the 48 sim to work on my iPhone 6. I bought an android on done deal for €20 and stuck the 48 sim in and was up and running in 5 minutes data and texts calls etc all good. The phone has two sim ports which is good because I haven’t had time to figure out how to port the old number over from Three.