cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No network signal in Northern Ireland

KevinK5794
Visitor

Good afternoon guys,

With cross-border travel now allowed, I made my first trip up to visit family in Northern Ireland.

Despite having roaming enabled, I had no network signal at all in the North so my phone was essentially useless.

Does the 48 network not allow roaming in UK/NI or is there an extra charge for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Yes that could be an issue if you set it to only connect to 48.
You should set that to auto.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

37 REPLIES 37

JustinH6839
Newcomer
Three phones here that also couldn't connect up north, two separate manufacturers as well.

Usually go north quite a bit, and did have the "forbidden" access to all networks when crossing the border.

Can confirm that switching the phones (OnePlus and Motorola) to the international profile in SIM Tool Kit and creating a new APN for 48 under the profile worked in getting data access on all three phones.
Still doesn't connect the way it used to, but switching to the International profile under When Abroad at least has worked for us with the 48 APN selected. Got data access on both O2 and Vodafone UK

CarmelQ4261
Newcomer
Same issue with me, can't connect or resolve the issue. Will have to move to another provider.

burnsy8
Visitor
Was in northern ireland today.no signal.no roaming.wtf.

Same here - no coverage in Nortyhen Ireland not in Romania. Chat support keeps telling me there is a simtoolkit in my phone. Nothing to be found in xiaomi redmi note 9 , huawei p30 lite nor nokia 6.2. This is a bad joke paid by us.  

kathleenk9540
Newcomer
Hi so I had the same problem but after a while I figured it out. I have an iPhone and when you have your roaming on go to sim applications in the mobile data section. When you hit this click on when abroad then you will be given the option manual or automatic click manual. Then you can hit the option international roaming profile. Give your phone a couple of minutes but it should work as it did for me! Also in the network selection have it set as automatic.

@kathleenk9540 wrote:
Hi so I had the same problem but after a while I figured it out. I have an iPhone and when you have your roaming on go to sim applications in the mobile data section. When you hit this click on when abroad then you will be given the option manual or automatic click manual. Then you can hit the option international roaming profile. Give your phone a couple of minutes but it should work as it did for me! Also in the network selection have it set as automatic.

Isn't that basically what the troubleshooting post says?

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/The-Roaming-Troubleshooting-Guide/ta-p/52179

However, it seems that this guide didn't help at least some people who continued to have problems while roaming.

Some not getting it working at all...

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

burnsy8
Visitor
I work off a 3g phone.there is NO signal to configure.they have discontinued their roaming service as far i can see but gawlingly they still advertise it...as for com reg dont get me started.

maryfeeney
Newcomer

Just back from Derry amd my 48 roaming did not work - tried to contact the Help but got message saying "service not available"   -  so disappointing as I needed it for google maps.       Will have to change to another provider when travelling again.

I had the same issue in Co, Down and Antrim 2 weeks ago. Not good enough. spent over an hour onto customer support and tried all workarounds. When selecting a network manually, all networks were "forbidden". was told by customer support that it was probably a sim issue or handset issue but my daughter who had a different phone had the same issue. I am a phone network engineer and it should not be this difficult to roam onto a network and pick up a signal. had similar issue in Croatia on hliday recentlt with very poor coverage. 

Between this and the constant issues with APN when roaming, I would not recommend 48 to anyone. customer support also need to be trained on network issues and not just rehasing workarounds that have been posted by other users.

PatrickJO1998
Visitor
This problem has been ongoing for years phone will not gat any service in N.I. changed to manual but none of the providers will register my sim no calls no texts no data. The strange thing is when roaming in Portugal all works perfect so settings are 100% correct. Please sort this 48 guyz.