cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g roaming - new EU regulation 1 July 2022

Robertm9265
Newcomer

When does 48 plan to add 4G roaming? I have noticed for a few EU countries roaming no longer works for 3G as they are shutting down their 3G networks and replacing with 4/5G, and 48 only offer 3G roaming. This means I am only getting 2G/EDGE if I am lucky

the new EU rule 

Consumers now will have the right to the same quality of mobile internet abroad, as the one they have at home. Operators providing mobile services should ensure that consumers have access to use 4G

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_22_4198

23 REPLIES 23

ReneH0019
Visitor

Haha, I just read the article about the 'new' EU roaming regulations too and was wondering about the very same thing.

Going to Germany in August and as they stopped using 3G completely, so 48month only provided 2G there. If anyone ever used 2G you will know it's absolutely useless nowadays.

The new EU roaming law should force 48month to provide 4G everywhere unless you go to an EU country that doesnt have 4G (don't think it exists)

Now, question is if 48month cares about the EU law at all or if it's business as usual. I would assume that this will need to go to comreg to decide and hopefully force them to comply.

However I would love to be pleasently surprised so anyone roaming from today in another EU country could you please let us know if you get 4G now? I am especially interested in Germany as you only get 2G but will be interesting for other EU countries too.

I've just read this too. I'm going to France later in the month, so I'm very interested to see what happens.

I had a nightmare trying to get 48 to work in Spain & Portugal earlier this year and took it up with Comreg when I got back.

Comreg really need to give 48 a kick in the arse.

It's quite simple. 48 has a contract with us customers which promises roaming and under the new rules if we enjoy 4G/LTE here then they have to provide it in the EU.

I will need mobile coverage for navigation and emergency service access while sailing.

If I can't get 48 to work when I arrive in France or they don't provide the service I'm thinking of getting an Orange.fr eSIM and then taking on 48 in the small claims court when I get back to get re-imbursed, and also get Comreg to act.

If anyone is still having trouble, get on to Comreg please.

@JanW0424 wrote:

If I can't get 48 to work when I arrive in France or they don't provide the service I'm thinking of getting an Orange.fr eSIM and then taking on 48 in the small claims court when I get back to get re-imbursed

Not much point in paying €25 for a small claims court case to get €12.99 back?

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

@JanW0424 wrote:

If I can't get 48 to work when I arrive in France or they don't provide the service I'm thinking of getting an Orange.fr eSIM and then taking on 48 in the small claims court when I get back to get re-imbursed

Not much point in paying €25 for a small claims court case to get €12.99 back?

It's more than 12.99 (I think it's 19.99) and then add in the credit back for the days missed which 48 will re-imburse for days of service missed and the fact that I can afford it and that it's a matter of principle... Obviously the best outcome would be for 48 to cop on or at worse Comreg to force them to. It will probably progress up from the District Court anyway in which case 48 will be liable for costs. They know that. 

I signed up to 48 on the basis of 4G (I don't need 5G) at €7.99 for life . It's in the contract. 

Currently waiting on an email back from 48 to confirm that they will be in compliance with EU rules. 

.....Currently waiting on an email back from 48 to confirm that they will be in compliance with EU rules. 

Please let us know their response if there is any. 

AlanR9254
Newcomer
Same here, in the UK a lot and the whole roaming system isn't available at all over here. Gonna have to change provider

JanW0424
Visitor

I've had a few emails back from complaints@48months.zendesk.com

The language is open to interpretation:

"You will get the same benefits for roaming as per your membership plan as you used to get earlier."

No mention of whether or not I can expect to connect and if I do will it be 3G or 4G/LTE. I have asked for clarification.

Interestingly, 48 sent out new T&Cs yesterday by email which seem to infer that they are cracking down on people buying lots of 48 SIMs and selling them for use abroad. This might explain why they have been less than helpful in making their SIMs connect while abroad. Just a theory.

The T&Cs set out lots of fair usage policy for when you connect abroad which I find a bit rich because the people on these forums can't connect abroad in the first place! There is also a mention on the website of them rolling out 4G roaming with their partners abroad but that it's a slow process. The deadline for rolling out was July 1st. 

Anyone in Europe now or just back with first hand experience of connecting?

Independent.ie: 48 says no data roaming in parts of Europe until September.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/48-says-no-data-roaming-in-parts-of-europe-until-sept...

The Three-owned budget mobile operator says customers won’t be able to access services such as Whatsapp or email in Germany, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic until September at the earliest, due to a lack of 3G connectivity in those countries.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks. They knew about the no 3G option (at least for Germany) for about a year now. It's really a ****show at this stage. Every other irish provider has no issues providing 4G internet in the EU but 48months just cannot get it together. At this stage I am sure it's on purpose. It cannot be incompetence anymore.