cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

48 No Service available in Italy on 5G iPhone

williamoc
Newcomer

This post is for other users of this forum as I don't expect to get any solution from 48 on this issue.

I am travelling in Italy for a few months with two phones that both 48 sims in them. Both phones are

• iPhone 13 Pro Max: iOS 15.3.1
  • iPhone 12 Pro: iOS 15.3.1

Both these phones are 5G enabled handsets. When roaming in Europe with 48, 3G is the only network that should be available. So choosing a preferred network of 4G/LTE or 5G should not be used and instead 3G selected.

In Italy however, the phone carriers only advertise 5G On, 5G Auto and 4G as preferred network choices on 5G enabled iPhones. This means it is not possible to select 3G as the preferred carrier when you have selected the International Roaming profile from the SIM Applications settings screen in Mobile Data Settings.

If you have a different expierence with roaming in Italy, please reply to this thread. Otherwise I hope this thread helps prevent anyone from wasting time troubleshooting or chatting to 48 support only to go around in circles. 

ios15-iphone12-pro-settings-cellular-cellular-data-options-voice-data.png

6 REPLIES 6

StuartC7631
Newcomer
I am in Italy with 2 other family members in different Samsung phones all with 48. None of us have any roaming available. My phone has a 'R' in the signal display but still no functioning service. We have tried 48 support but they can't sort out.
From reading comments here I suspect roaming doesn't work on 48 and they shouldn't claim it does.

JKS2026
Newcomer
I had a similar problem, I solved it by changing to the roaming profile in the 48 SIM tools app and then changing to 3G preferred in the network settings on the phone. I'm using a Google Pixel 6.

TomasR2391
Newcomer
I couldn’t get roaming in Italy at all.

TomasR2391
Newcomer
5-8 years ago was no problem to use service, when Indian’s took owner the support- it got to the Stone Age. Nothing works, everything is in manual and always need Indian’s support. Such a business model

TomasR2391
Newcomer
The worst customer service ever!

Robertm9265
Newcomer

im getting the same in Italy. Roaming was fine in other parts of Europe, Then as soon as I get to Italy no service. The sim works in an older android phone. 48 has no 4g or 5g roaming. Iphone 12 does not have the option of selecting 3g only.