cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 8 "SIM no longer supported" after s/w update

MarcS9653
Visitor

Hi all, long time user, first time poster. Just noticed my 48 SIM card all of a sudden has no connection. Tried restarting the phone to no avail. Also double checked the apn settings. All seems to be in order. My wife also has a 48 SIM card and hers is connected to 4G data and can makes calls/texts. I'm using a pixel 8. Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?

13 REPLIES 13

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?

Try your SIM in your wife's phone and vice versa and see what works/doesn't work?

With your SIM in your phone what does a manual search for networks show?

Can you see and reconnect to 48?

You might want to contact 48 support for further assistance.

See the links in my signature below.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks so much for your suggestions/quick reply. Tried my SIM in wife's phone, weirdly it worked fine! Also tried her SIM in my phone and it said "SIM type no longer supported". I then put my SIM back into my phone and it briefly flashed up with a message of "SIM not allowed".

When I do a manual search of networks I see no networks found (though before it had a few networks showing including the 48 one but refused to connect!).

Will report to the support email that you mentioned, thanks again

Did anything change on your Pixel 8 between when it worked and when it stopped working?

E.g. a software update or something?

As far as I know the Pixel 8 requires a class C/1.8 volt SIM and older SIMs may not work as they are of a different class/voltage.

But if it was working before and suddenly stopped then that's strange.

I would consider ordering a replacement SIM to see if that helps but that will obviously take a few days to arrive.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

This seems to be somebody who had their Pixel 8 working fine for a while and then got the same errors after a software update:

To be honest Google Pixel phones sound like a pain given this sort of stuff and the fact that they block 5G access for several Irish networks for no good reason.

Nearly as bad as iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones for all the unnecessary problems that they cause due to the manufacturers' stupid policies.

I did do a software update a couple of days ago. Possibly the latest android broke something? I was working for a good couple of months fine, so that's disappointing if that's the case. Will try ordering a replacement SIM (I also asked my question to 48 support but they said it would up to 7 days to get back). 

You've nothing to lose by ordering a replacement SIM and seeing if that makes any difference when it arrives. 

It sounds a bit like the class C/1.8 volt SIM issue but it's odd that it was working before if that was the issue.

Unless the software update somehow now insists on a class C/1.8V SIM and won't work with a higher voltage one or something.

Will do, I did that fairly recently (about a year ago when 48 brought out the newer sims). But no harm in doing it again... I tried to contact pixel/google support, but they just said "contact your carrier".  Thanks for your help!

Is it possible to downgrade to the previous version of the Google Pixel 8 Android software? 

Let me check that. I actually went as far as to try flashing a custom rom "grapheneOS", but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Exactly the same error showing up "SIM 1 not allowed". I think grapheneOS is updated regularly with the same underlying android software. I will see if I can roll it back one update, good idea