Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

iMessage & FaceTime Activation

Anon
‎19-05-2013 11:41 AM
This seems to be an issue for all users of iPhones on the 48 network.

Both will not activate using my mobile number so therefore I am stick sending & reviewing from my email address rather than my phone number. Previous correspondence with the 48 team told me that it was my phone that was at fault & gave me a million & one settings to check, Automatic date & time etc..

NOTHING WORKED

After two trips two the UK in the past six weeks it has become apparent that it is in fact the 48 network at fault.

On my first trip to the UK immediately after landing & turning off airplane mode my iMessage & FaceTime both activated with my number & I could select my send / receive address...

Arrived back in Dublin, Switch off airplane mode & back to square one!!

Went to the UK & again problem was IMMEDIATELY rectified!!

I read on Apple Support previously that some networks block certain settings / texts for phones & this seems to be the case with 48 as it is a no frills network!

Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of 48 & would love to get this problem sorted!

I look forward to hearing back Smiley Happy

One quick bit of info.. Originality started with an iPhone 4 (factory unlocked) but was used on O2 network & Thought this might have been the issue & have since bought a new iPhone 5 (also factory unlocked) & nothing

Posted from Apple iPhone
0 Likes

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: iMessage & FaceTime Activation

Crew (retired)
‎24-05-2013 02:27 PM

The issue here is that 48 is not recognised as an official carrier by Apple.

When members are trying to activate their iMessage/Facetime they get an error unless they have credit of 25c on their account. When iMessage gets activated it will automatically try by using the user’s Apple ID which then fails because we are not a recognised carrier.

It then tries to activate by SMS. This SMS is sent to a UK number hence why the 25c credit is needed.

Unfortunately it appears that in certain circumstances like returning from abroad iMessage will require activation again so a further 25c credit is required.

Having enough credit for the activation is the best way to solve this issue until Apple recognises 48 as official carrier.

View solution in context

4 Likes

All Replies
Highlighted

The Legend
‎19-05-2013 09:57 PM

You should probably log a support request about this in order to get 48 staff to look into it. Hopefully they will then post back here for the benefit of others...

http://help.48months.ie/requests/new

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
1 Like
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎19-05-2013 10:53 PM

I seem to recall a post on the old 48 support forum from Damian (48 support staff) in answer to a question about iMessage not working. My recollection is that the gist was that something (the backchannel from network to handset perhaps?) was not supported on the 48 network so iMessage did not work.Basically it seemed to be that the required system (APNS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imessage#Technology) was not supported. Maybe some of the technologies used by FaceTime are also not supported (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FaceTime#Standards)?

Maybe somebody from 48 can clarify.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
1 Like
Highlighted

Anon
‎24-05-2013 12:17 PM

you need to put extra credit on your account to get the activation to work. just a euro or 2 will do . This worked for me 

0 Likes
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎24-05-2013 12:20 PM

Is that true? If so is that because it uses some service that is charged for and not included in the normal membership call/text/data bundles? For example an SMS to an international number (25c per SMS) or other special/premium number?

http://www.48months.ie/pricing

0 Likes
Highlighted

Crew (retired)
‎24-05-2013 02:27 PM

The issue here is that 48 is not recognised as an official carrier by Apple.

When members are trying to activate their iMessage/Facetime they get an error unless they have credit of 25c on their account. When iMessage gets activated it will automatically try by using the user’s Apple ID which then fails because we are not a recognised carrier.

It then tries to activate by SMS. This SMS is sent to a UK number hence why the 25c credit is needed.

Unfortunately it appears that in certain circumstances like returning from abroad iMessage will require activation again so a further 25c credit is required.

Having enough credit for the activation is the best way to solve this issue until Apple recognises 48 as official carrier.

4 Likes
Highlighted

The Legend
‎24-05-2013 02:34 PM

Thanks for that explanation Denise and for the tip davedave. Might be worth putting that in a key post relating to iPhone setup - if this hasn't been done already?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Anon
‎26-08-2013 11:49 PM

Just wondering does it cost 25c every time you send an i message?

0 Likes
Highlighted

The Legend
‎29-08-2013 05:06 PM

I don't think so - just when iMessage/FaceTime activation takes place and needs to send one (or two?) SMS to the UK to complete the activation.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Anon
‎05-07-2014 10:11 PM
FYI I solved this issue today myself by resetting network settings on iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1.2
Posted from Apple iPhone
0 Likes

Announcements
Welcome to the 48Community!

To take part in the discussions or to post your own question, you'll need to register so If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>

While you're here, check out our "Featured Topics" below.

Our Troubleshooting Guide and Knowledgebase contain help and support articles and popular questions to help you as a 48 customer.

Order a free SIM
Earn some extra credit or cash with MatesRates!
Unlock your phone
Ask the community