Going on a trip and starting to get that pre-holiday feeling?
We’ve got you covered when it comes to your phone. Here’s all you need to know, so you can use your services while abroad. Happy memory-making!
Travelling within the EU/UK.
Our new plans and the Guido include EU/UK allowances. The Don, The Mitch, The Duke and standard are domestic only plans so can only be used in the Republic of Ireland. However, you always have the option to change your plan on its next expiry date to one of our plans that includes EU/UK roaming.
This means you get to enjoy your service in the EU/UK as if you were at home. Happy days! Data usage comes with a fair usage policy, so if you’re not sure how much your plan includes, just check your roaming allowance on the My48 portal or your My48 app.
For more details on EU/UK roaming and a full list of which countries you can use your EU/UK data allowance in, check here
Can I buy extra Data for EU/UK roaming?
Yes! If you've used your EU/UK data roaming allowance or simply just want more, then the 1GB data add-on can be used in Ireland and in the EU/UK when you’re on a plan that has roaming included. To purchase your add on, simply Log in to your My48 >> Flexi Data >> Add ons, or just click here.
Is 4G available when roaming in the EU/UK?
Yes, 4G EU roaming was introduced for all 48 customers mid-September 2022.
Just a reminder: some telecommunications networks in the EU such as Germany, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic have retired their 3G services meaning only 2G and 4G services are available. So, to connect to data while roaming, ensure your network mode in your settings is set to 4G.
Travelling outside the EU.
If you’re traveling outside the EU, roaming can be pricey depending on your destination. Here’s what’s available when you’re roaming outside the EU, as well as some alternatives for you to know:
- All incoming/outgoing calls and outgoing texts will be charged your credit balance.
- To receive a text, it’s free!
- Data roaming isn’t available outside the listed EU destinations. We’ve included some useful tips as an alternative ⬇️.
- MMS/picture messages: As you need data to send these, they won't work while you're outside the EU, so just use your Wi-Fi to send images through a third-party app.
Need Data when outside the EU?
If you need to use data outside the EU, you can always use the Wi-Fi available in cafés, restaurants and your accommodation. If you want your own data independence, remember your phone is unlocked, so you could always pick up a local SIM in the destination you're travelling to. There’s generally a network kiosk in most international airports.
All 48 customers are automatically set up to use their phone abroad. When you reach your host country, make sure to turn on your mobile data, and that data roaming is enabled on your phone. See below ⬇️:
- For Android: Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Data Roaming.
- For iPhone: Go to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options and ensure "Data Roaming" is turned on.
- For Windows: Go to Settings > Mobile Network > Data Roaming Options
If you don’t have service when you arrive in your destination, don’t panic! Check out our steps for roaming, here.
Contacting us when abroad.
If you've tried the troubleshooting steps and you find that your internet still isn’t working, it’s time to ask for a little help.
You can post a new question on the community here, and our members will help you out to the best of their ability.
Or, you can contact 48 Customer Care here, just in case the issue is account-related. If possible, try to contact us from a different phone or desktop as we might need to recheck your phone settings with you.
Include the following details to help us help you:
- The date you bought your plan or internet add-on.
- The type of phone you have.
- Full list of settings you saved into your phone.
- Do you have data roaming switched on?
- Do you have an internet signal (e.g. shows "4G, "LTE", “H”, “3G”, “E”, “G” or “o” depending on the speed of internet)?