cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent Enter your phone number pop-up

SeanB7447
Newcomer

Since moving to the 48 network, my phone keeps asking for my phone number several times a day, usually just after I unlock the screen:

Enter your phone number pop-up.png

It is a Samsung A51 5G that I originally purchased from Three. It never did this when I was with Three. The phone works fine with phone calls, SMS and data, so I don't know why it keeps asking for my number.

When I enter my phone number, the pop-up disappears until later in the day the next time I unlock the screen. I also tried dropping the '0' and touching 'Skip', but this screen still pops up later when I unlock the screen.  I tried asking on Samsung's forum, but got no answer other than to try my number again.

8 REPLIES 8

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

What application is popping this up?

It's obviously some messaging app judging by the message.

If I Google "just one more step to get the latest chat features" I don't get any hits.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

It's the built-in Samsung Messages App going by the icon in the task switcher:

Samsung Message app.png

I might try later switching to the Google messages App as the default SMS app. 

Could the Samsung Messages App be trying to enable RCS features and 48 don't support this (I think it needs carrier support?)?

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/rich-communication-services-android-faqs

Is there any option to disable RCS in the app?

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks for the link, this now clearly is a bug in Samsung's Messages App.

On that page it mentions:  To disable Chat features and return to Text (SMS/MMS) for Samsung Messages, open the app select the three dots on the right-hand side of the screen, then select "Settings/Chat settings." Disable the Rich Communication settings.

I get this far:

Chat settings before.png

When I touch "Chat settings" or that orange 'N' thingy, it just greys out:

Chat settings greyed out.png

It remains greyed out until I close the Messages App.  Even then, it just greys out again the next time I try going into that Chat Settings menu.  It never shows that menu, so it looks like the only way to get around this problem is to switch to another Messages App, so I'll try changing to the Google Messages App now.

Stab in the dark again but if you enable airplane mode and try changing that Chat Settings option in the Samsung Messaging app with airplane mode enabled does it make any difference?

Good suggestion, however, it said "There was a problem connecting, try again later" and went no further.  Once I turned off airplane mode, it just greyed out again when I touched it.

I then switched to the Google Messages App as my default SMS App.  It automatically imported my SMS messages.  It asked for my mobile number and then said that my number verified successfully and that Chat Features is now connected. 

The Samsung Messages App continued to keep asking for my mobile number.  I went into its App settings, but it wouldn't let me disable the App, so I erased its data and rebooted the phone. 

So far no further pop-ups, so looking promising now.

PaulM0875
Newcomer
Is there any solution to this? It's extremely frustrating especially when it pops up continuously and is a distraction when using Google maps as it hides the map and asks for an input

@PaulM0875 wrote:
Is there any solution to this? It's extremely frustrating especially when it pops up continuously and is a distraction when using Google maps as it hides the map and asks for an input

Did you try what @SeanB3045 did above?