cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send/receive SMS messages

Kerryc9216
Visitor

I have been unable to send or receive sms messages since porting my number. Also unable to receive verification text messages from bank etc. Anybody any idea how to solve this please. Thank you

15 REPLIES 15

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Is the SMSC number set correctly?
Try this

https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/oppo/a72-android-10-0/messaging/set-up-your-phone-for-text-messa...

but instead of the Vodafone SMSC number mentioned there use the 48 one.
See here:

https://community.48.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/Problems-sending-a-text/td-p/984

If that doesn't help then you'll have to contact 48 support.
See the link in my signature below or email them at support@48months.zendesk

Hope this helps.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Kerryc9216
Visitor
Thanks so much I am now receiving messages saying someone is trying to access my account from unknown device but still no verification code messages. I've sent email as suggested

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
So you can now send/receive "regular" text messages after configuring the SMSC number correctly?
But you're not receiving verification code messages?
From what services?
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Kerryc9216
Visitor
Hi had to put the sim in another phone to insert the SMSC number because on checking it was the number of my previous provider. Don't know why cos it was a new SIM and new phone. I also had to download another messaging app cos it still wouldn't work. As it stands now stil not receiving text with verification code from Amazon, PayPal, Bank of Ireland. Spoke to Amazon they said all was ok their end I checked the telephone number and country code all was correct. Amazon said messages were definitely being sent it was an issue with my provider. I'm also not able to send picture messages, but I can live with that. I did speak to 2 people on chat after they checked all my settings they just said 48 does not block any numbers and then they end the chat with Thank you. Sorry for waffling 😁

@Kerryc9216 wrote:
Hi had to put the sim in another phone to insert the SMSC number because on checking it was the number of my previous provider. Don't know why cos it was a new SIM and new phone. I also had to download another messaging app cos it still wouldn't work. As it stands now stil not receiving text with verification code from Amazon, PayPal, Bank of Ireland. Spoke to Amazon they said all was ok their end I checked the telephone number and country code all was correct. Amazon said messages were definitely being sent it was an issue with my provider. I'm also not able to send picture messages, but I can live with that. I did speak to 2 people on chat after they checked all my settings they just said 48 does not block any numbers and then they end the chat with Thank you. Sorry for waffling 😁

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately it looks like some 48 users hit this problem with not receiving such two factor authentication security text messages.

It doesn't make sense to me (and I and many others have no problems receiving such texts) why this happens and unfortunately it looks like 48 have not been able to explain it or sort it out for some users.

I agree that if you can't get such texts then it makes 48 useless for you... Man Sad

Kerryc9216
Visitor
Hi thanks for reply I have emailed them so they might be able to suggest something. I did ask them if the sim itself might be the issue maybe an incomplete porting or something. I'll see what they suggest. Thanks so much for your help much appreciated

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Unfortunately some others have had the same problem with security texts and were never able to get it sorted so I think that they had to leave 48. Hopefully that's not the case here but it might be...

I too cannot receive these OTP bank verification codes since joining 48 in Jan2021

I have reordered sim - no effect still not receiving codes.

I have put my 48 sim on my old phone that dooss actually recieve these codes..   but that does not work with my48 sim on my old phone.

I have put my sons 48 sm in my new phone and CAN get the codes then at that point using my sons 48 sim.

So all testing points to the issue that either: how 48 have set up my account or the message settings that they have sent me... are wrong!!!!

But no one in 48 is helping to  resolved this.  They just closed the incident ticket that I had raised to look into this issue.. and washed their hand of the problem!!

INC0646585 incident raised originally

@KathrynM6726 wrote:

So all testing points to the issue that either: how 48 have set up my account or the message settings that they have sent me... are wrong!!!!

If you are able to send/receive any other texts then the SMSC number is correctly configured and settings are not the problem so it must be something on the 48/network side alright.

I don't really understand why 48 support can't give you better service and sort the problem out for you. That's very disappointing... Man Sad