Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Re: Imessage and Facetime not Activating

Newcomer
‎04-10-2020 07:21 PM

Even I was facing this issue and tried all possible ways to fix like turning iMessages and Facetime On and off and restarting and all.

But the fix was quite simple in my case. I was missing my contact number in Settings>Phone>My Number.

This field was auto filled with my previous service provider but wasn't filled when I ported to 48. So follow these steps and let's see if this works for you.

1. Turn you iMessage and Facetime off.

2. Make sure you've some credit as it charged me 8c to activate the service.

3. Go to Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email and add your contact number in 'Contactable at' option.

4. Go to Settings > Phone > My Number and update your contact number there.

5. Now go back to iMessage and Facetime and turn them on one by one. You should be able to see your contact number in Send & Recieve option of iMessage settings.

These steps worked for me and Now I can use Facetime and iMessage on 48.

Thanks

Simranjeet

3 Likes
Highlighted

Newcomer
‎05-10-2020 08:53 PM

Hi, many thanks for your reply. I have tried your suggestions and at the moment I'm not sure if it's working or not but I have noticed that my credit balance of €1.01 has now dropped to €0.63. So, does this mean that I would need to make sure I top this up occassionally as each time I turn off / turn on my phone I will get this message. It happened again this evening. Thanks again for all helpful advice! :-)

0 Likes
Highlighted

Newcomer
‎06-10-2020 08:24 AM
Ported a day ago now, have tried these steps and also ones from Apple after contacting them. iMessage fails to activate. Apple advised contActing the carrier
Posted from Apple iPhone
0 Likes
Highlighted

Newcomer
‎06-10-2020 08:43 AM
I’ve tried all of this, and have topped up also. Activation still just errors out and says try again.
Posted from Apple iPhone
0 Likes
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎06-10-2020 09:36 AM

@JasonM6164 wrote:
I’ve tried all of this, and have topped up also. Activation still just errors out and says try again.

When you say that you've topped up do you mean that you have a working membership and you have put some cash credit on your account to cover the cost of the UK SMS(s?) that iPhone/iMessage/FaceTime activation will quietly send?

What is the exact error message that you get?

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then please see here.
0 Likes
Highlighted

The Legend
‎06-10-2020 09:37 AM

@CathalK8983 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to 48, just joined the other day and bought my first membership. I have changed my mobile data settings using the 48 APN settings as advised in other links so I will see how that works. I am due to travel to Northern Ireland in a few weeks so I'm hoping all will work up there. I'll keep ye posted!  Regarding the SMS situation with Facetime and imessage I'm also getting the same on screen messsages (I use an iphone). I have now put a €1 credit on my account, the changes haven't worked yet but I will try it again later this eve / tomorrow. I'm not a very tech person but I'm thinking of just turning both Facetime and Imessage off and leaving them switched off. I can always use regulars SMS text messages plus there's always whattsapp for messages and calls. In a nutshell, does this sound ok? Is there anything I'm missing here or would I be ok to go with this option?

Sounds OK to me.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then please see here.
0 Likes
Highlighted

The Legend
‎06-10-2020 09:39 AM

@CathalK8983 wrote:

So, does this mean that I would need to make sure I top this up occassionally as each time I turn off / turn on my phone I will get this message. It happened again this evening. Thanks again for all helpful advice! :-)

You probably need to ask Apple when and how activation happens and what might cause it to have to activate again having been activated before because it's down to how they implement this stupid activation process. Unfortunately they don't seem to provide clear and easy to find info about this on their help site.

0 Likes
Highlighted

The Legend
‎06-10-2020 09:40 AM

@JasonM6164 wrote:
Ported a day ago now, have tried these steps and also ones from Apple after contacting them. iMessage fails to activate. Apple advised contActing the carrier

Did you also put some cash credit on your account to cover the cost of activation SMS(s?) that Apple use as well as having an active membership?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Newcomer
‎14-10-2020 11:59 AM

Thank you SO much for this, solved my issues straight away! 

I updated the phone number to include my country code, turned off iMessage and FaceTime, added €1 credit, turned both of them on and activation is complete! 

It cost me €0.08 from my balance but perfect fix. Thank you!!

Recommend everyone follow his advise : 

@SimranjeetS6151 wrote:

Even I was facing this issue and tried all possible ways to fix like turning iMessages and Facetime On and off and restarting and all.

But the fix was quite simple in my case. I was missing my contact number in Settings>Phone>My Number.

This field was auto filled with my previous service provider but wasn't filled when I ported to 48. So follow these steps and let's see if this works for you.

1. Turn you iMessage and Facetime off.

2. Make sure you've some credit as it charged me 8c to activate the service.

3. Go to Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email and add your contact number in 'Contactable at' option.

4. Go to Settings > Phone > My Number and update your contact number there.

5. Now go back to iMessage and Facetime and turn them on one by one. You should be able to see your contact number in Send & Recieve option of iMessage settings.

These steps worked for me and Now I can use Facetime and iMessage on 48.

Thanks

Simranjeet

0 Likes

Announcements
Welcome to the 48Community!

To take part in the discussions or to post your own question, you'll need to register so If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>

While you're here, check out our "Featured Topics" below.

Our Troubleshooting Guide and Knowledgebase contain help and support articles and popular questions to help you as a 48 customer.

Order a free SIM
Earn some extra credit or cash with MatesRates!
Unlock your phone
Ask the community